Host Virus X?

Pembroke, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi all,
I need help identifying what is wrong with this hosta before I take drastic measures that may not be necessary. I think this hosta has the hosta virus, but I am not sure, and I don't want to destroy it until I absolutely know for sure. It's one of my favorites and I am heart-broken. I have had it for four years and this is the first year it's displayed these symptoms. It's called 'Northern Exposure'.

Is it the hosta virus? If so, does this virus only affect hostas? Or could I put another plant in that spot, just not a hosta?

Thanks!

Thumbnail by tracey8165
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Just my opinion, but that looks like dessication probably caused by a late frost. You have the light color resulting from cell damage between the veins. HVX usually shows as a darker color that hugs the veins, kind of bleeding away from them. I've also seen dark mottling in general and, in extreme cases, twisted leaves. This isn't a very good picture, but this shows the damage to a leaf on Striptease.

Thumbnail by Eleven
Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

Frances Williams is known for showing "spring dessication" that's not always attributable to a late frost. Here's mine this spring:

Thumbnail by Eleven
Pembroke, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Eleven! That is such a huge relief! We did have a very late frost this year so that must be what caused it. Thank you! I am so glad I asked before I dug it up. :-)

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I agree totally with Eleven. And, as she pointed out, some plants just get this spring dessication. I thought my 'Frances Williams' was going to be fine this year for a change when I took pics last Wednesday. Then I went away for 4 days. When I returned, it had large bits of dessication on one leaf. So it can be caused because the variety is susceptible or because of late frost or sometimes the sun is too strong before trees leaf out. But we don't think you have a virus problem. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.