And in this corner!

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

I'm already thinking of what I want to try next year as far as new varieties. The trouble is there are so many similar tomato cultivars that look alike, but how do you tell which one tastes better? Therefore I put them in the ring and see who comes out on top.
Black Krim vs Black from Tula
Big Rainbow vs Pineapple
Black Cherry vs Chocolate Cherry
If anyone has grown both contestants let me know which is your preference. Thanks.

Thumbnail by SabraKhan
Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I've grown all 6 of them and my preferences are:

Black FromTula
Big Rainbow
Black Cherry.

Those aren't necessaily my choices as to the varieties you listed, but that doesn't matter.

And it's good to know that taste is personal and subjective and there are many variables involved such as where grown,geographically, what the soil is like, any amendments used and if so which ones, when used and what were they, then how the plants are grown as in sprawled, caged, stakes, etc,and finally what the weathe rwas like in the season they were grown.

The primary determinates for taste of any variety are the genes that it has, but the variables above can also be a huge factor.

Summary? I've listed what I like best but that tells you nothing about what you might like best b/c in addition there's a human genetic factor involved.

Carolyn

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree with Carolyn on all but one. I love Black Krim for production, taste, everything. I grow it every year, except this year. I killed my seedlings and the 2 I bought to replace them had a disease, so I tossed them.

Choc cherry isn't near as good as black cherry IMHO.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

I've tried growing Noire de Crimée and it has never done well for me, nor has Brandywine. Both were underwhelming. So as Carolyn says, there are many factors involved in which ones do best for you.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I love CHOCOLATE CHERRY the best. Bigger tomatoes, more production and better taste.
I am not growing Black Krim this year because of its small production and many cracks ... the other varieties I have n/a

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

this is my first year growing both brandywine and big rainbow, so i will find out soon enough ;)

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I grew Black Cherry and Chocolate Cherry next to each other and didn't detect a huge difference in flavor. I guess the Chocolate was a little larger. I am sticking with Black Cherry this year. It is a favorite for salads and drying.
I also have grown both the Black From Tula and Black Krim. I had better production and flavor overall from the Krim. The Black From Tula took longer to ripen and the first ones were not great. The later ones were better but very low production. Could have been that particular season, though. Can't compare the other two but I have tried pineapple and gotten a very low production rate. They ripen late here so that is a factor. A friend swear by them but I was underwhelmed by the one she gave me. It is definitely personal taste and the specific season - that can vary greatly from year to year.

Tiverton, RI(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone! You've all been a great help in my decisions for next year.
By the way, I'm also hearing a lot of praise over another black tomato 'Paul Robeson'. It's purported to be superior over both 'Black Krim' and 'Black From Tula'.
Any input on this variety?

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

If you are looking for a good clack then I have found Amazon Chocolate to be excellent and earlier than the rest so I get to enjoy it first! It has been erratic from year to year. Last year it produced like crazy. Other years it has produced and then succumbed to wilt or not produced as much. But the flavor has never failed me! My favorite thus far is probably Brad's Black Heart in terms of flavor and beauty. It is not a big producer but I opt for quality in that case. It is an oxheart so nice and meaty as well. Black Seaman is a third one I usually include each year as it has been consistent for me and excellent flavor. It can be a toss up for flavor when compared to the Brad's Black Heart at my tomato tastings with friends. Everyone I know loves the Black Cherry.

I am trying Cherokee chocolate (similar to Cherokee Purple, I understand, but many prefer this version) and Carbon as new blacks this year. Again it can depend on the year as to which ones produce and taste the best. But I always include Amazon Chocolate, Black Cherry, Brad's Black Heart and Black Seaman.

So through experiment you will find the ones that do best in your area and you like.

I was going to mention Paul Robeson. It's my probably my favorite tomato, I love the flavor but it doesn't produce as well for me as BK. I'm growing Black Seaman again this year, it says to put it out early but it went from cold to hot in one day so I put it out early but it may not have been early enough.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Cherokee Purple and Cherokee Chocolate differ in only ONE way and that's b/c CP has a clear epidermis and CC has a yellow epidermis. So the only difference is that CC is darker than CP, best described as a mahogany color.

I don t know why Craig named it CC other than when folks include the word chocolate in a name it seems to get to those areas of the brain that are our chocolate centers. LOL

Yes, I've grown both and was probably the first to do afte rCraig since Craig LeHoullier who was given seeds of CP which he called Cherokee Purple, but has no purple, has been my best tomato friend and all around great friend for 24 years now.

If looking for a great tasting black heart you might want to consider Cherokee Purple Heart, new, and Indian Stripe Heart, also new.

Carolyn

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Thanks, Carolyn, now I have some new ones to try. I know that Indian Stripe has always been regarded as a wonderful tomato but I have tried it twice and did not get the expected results. It will be interesting to try the Heart one.

I know Paul Robeson is also a great favorite but again when I tried it I had poor results. Perhaps it was that particular summer an I should plant it again next year. In any event I will get seeds for the two new black hearts!

(Judy) Simpsonville, SC(Zone 8a)

This year I'm trying a new tomato, Mr Stripey. Love the taste, and so far the plants are hardy and setting flower early. Let's see how it handles the heat of a South Carolina summer. Anyone have experience with Mr Stripey?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Buttercup, Mr. Stripey, the large gold/red bicolor is from GA so it should handle the heat well. That being said it's one of over 200 named gold/red bicolors and opinions vary widely on how good it might be.

I personally put it WAY down on the list b'c often the plants are spindly, low production, etc. The reason you see it so often is that when Wayne Hilton, who owned Totally Tomatoes, now owned by Jung's, found it, he gave seeds to Seeds by Design in C, a wholsale place, and they put it on their distribution list to many seed sites, so you find it at all the box stores, etc.

I hope it does well for you, so please let us know.

Carolyn

Chico, CA

I have grown Mr. Stripey several times and although the production was ok the taste was always what I considered to be mushy - maybe because we have so many 100+ days. I do not have it in my garden this year.

Albuquerque, NM

I'm trying Big Rainbow, Mr Stripey, Pineapple, Pineapple Pig, Beauty King (last 2 from Wild Boar), Gold Medal, Copia, and Virginia Sweets this year. I'll see how they compare, but I'm just now getting flowers.

I got a Black from Tula plant from Laurel's Heirloom Plants this year and it is looking good so far. Laurel says Paul Robeson is the best tomato on the planet.

I'm also growing Black Cherry, Black Opal and Black Plum, as well as Chocolate Cherry. I am anxious to compare them as well.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I don't agree with Lauel Garza, LOL, and I know her well. She started her plant business as inspired by me when I used to be the lead Moderator at Tomatomania.

I could NEVER say that ANY variety is THE best variety on the planet, NEVER. LOL

Carolyn

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

I'm trying Black Krim and Black from Tula for the first time as well as Big Rainbow and goodness knows how many others. I think the weather being what it's been, it's going to be a hard year to judge anything. It has not stopped raining except for yesterday. Dont' know when they are actually going to get planted!
so all bets are off for now. But Black Cherry is one of my all time favorites!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Carolyn, although I know this is really not a fair question and I would never want to put you on the spot, could you give an idea of maybe your favourite top ten tomatoes? Just your personal experience, although I realize that there are so many new ones out there. We're in a similar zone, so just wondering....
Thanks, Sharon

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Sharon, I'm asked that same question very often and I've decided not to answer my top one,my top 5, or whatever.

And that's b'c once I do so it's out there for everyone to see and is permanent sosomeonein 5 years might see that list, whereas my faves often do change every year.

And that's b'c every year my friends who do seed production for me are growing out new to almost everyone varieties and Freda grows for me here at home less than 20 of them.

When I fell and knew I could no longer grow the number of plants and varieties that I used to I decided to switch to finding varieties that would be new to all or most for my annual seed offer at Tville, and thankfully, I've been quite successful in doing that.

Carolyn

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Hi Carolyn, I totally appreciate your point of view. So many tomatoes and so little time to grow them and try them, not to mention space. But I'm already working on next years list, even though this years plants are still waiting to get planted, LOL!
Thanks, Sharon

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

'Black Cherry' is one of my favorites,which I have several plants of. Also decided to try growing 'Paul Robeson', 'Japanese Black Trifele', an Oxheart variety I don't remember, 'Italian Heirloom', 'Giant Roma', 'Thai Pink', 'Principe Borghese' and 'Matt's Wild Cherry'.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Chocolate Stripes

Thumbnail by drthor
Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Joyous, have u grown Italian Heirloom before? It's on my list for next year. I grew JBT last year and really enjoyed it. This year I'm trying Black Pear which is supposed to be similar.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

No, I haven't and I don't really know if any of my tomatoes will do well as it's been kinda' cold. Did the JBT produce a lot of tomatoes for you?

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

The JBT was really productive. I was amazed as it was the first time I ever grew it. Big potato leaves and just kept pumping out tomatoes. Took me awhile to realize when it was ripe the shoulders were green. Great flavour.

This is the first year I haven't grown JBT in years. I always grow it, great production, taste, and a unique shape. I realized I can't grow them all 70 types is enough!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

I know, I know. Just too many varieties. Im not growing black cherry and I'm already regretting it. Might go pick up one from the farmers market.

Sevierville, TN(Zone 7a)

I tried German Queen for the last two years, 1st yr plant went 13ft up (is in Daves Garden) lots of fruit, 2nd yr went 7 ft in a different spot still lots of fruit, this year it is at 7 ft and setting fruit. I found the size and taste to be perfect for me. I love a tomato that smells tomato and tastes like the ones from years (a lot) ago. congrats to all who try new things..Joe

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

Even tho my tomatoes are finally setting fruit and growing, I'm still working on next years list. My Black Pear which is supposed to be similar to JBT is only just starting to set fruit. This has been one weird season. I've had some BER on a couple varieties, which is never a good thing. Guess I will have wait and see. I ended up buying a Black Cherry because I just love it so much. It's at 6 feet and growing. I have so many varieties going, I can't wait to try them all!

I have all sorts of varieties ripening and it's so much fun. My kids have been gone for a week and my 15 yr old is my tomato nut. He loves them all I can hardly wait for him to get home tomorrow he eats them like apples. I haven't even eaten any bc I wanted him to try them first. May have to sneak in a tomato sandwich for lunch before he gets here. I've never had them produce like this so early in the season, usually I have to wait until fall. I must admit that my labeling has room for improvement.

I grow mine on tripods and put the name of the variety on the top of the tripods. But I also plant them alphabetically....The problem I have is remembering which is which when I get them into the house!

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

The names on mine are all fading even when I used permanent marker, so much for being waterproof. At this point I've committed to memory, but sometimes I just can't rememberLOL! As long as they taste good. Nothing ripe yet but waiting...

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Marvel Stripe has always been my favorite for eating and for growing.

The brown/black/purple and even the green zebra confuse me. Despite their good taste, I cannot pick them at the right time, and by the time I figure they are ripe, they are way past their prime.

This year every tomato plant is new to us, just for a change.
Marcia

Hugobee, I found that Sharpie oil-based paint markers are really long-lasting. Someone else on DG checked them out and recommended them, and I'm finding that they work very well.

Montreal, QC(Zone 5b)

GG, I have to do that and get some plastic markers. I just hope the extreme het doesn't do all my plants in!

If they get enough water they'll be fine. Some plants, like tomatoes, go into a sort of suspension in extreme heat but they'll bounce back when it cools down a bit.

Saylorsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have also found the paint pens to last much longer than the regular Sharpie Permanent markers. In addition I have switched to using the white plastic knives I can get from WalMart.com with the smooth handles. I think they come in 100 or 200 packs. They are much cheaper in the long run than plastic markers. I place them in gallon plastic bags at the end of the season so can recycle them! Of course I am always adding new varieties so my bag is pretty full of knives I didn't need to use this year!!

I reuse my pint Ziploc bags if it's the same variety I'm freezing, or the same vegetable. I label my beans according to their name but tomatoes just get lumped together, as do squash if I'm lucky enough to get any, and cucumbers and turnips and basil and cilantro.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I labeled a bunch of bulbs with a blue sharpie that did not withstand the spring rains. The black sharpie markings from last year are only a bit faded. Lucky for us that the tomato markers are from the grower.

Our biggest constraint is getting the tomatoes before Bambi comes to visit again. The cour di bue oxhearts are getting large but are still bright green.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.