Adenium glauca

Decatur, GA

My A. glauca is starting to grow as usual this spring with a new twist. As you can see its putting some new growth out off the caudex! This should be a nice development. With plenty of water and some fertilizer this blooms like crazy.
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

That is just a gorgeous caudex Helen! Send more photos when it flowers too.

Melbourne Beach, FL

Your photos were so amazing I just purchased one from Shoal Creek. Is the care, etc. much different than Adenium obesum or arabicum? What do you use as fertilizer and how often do you water?

Decatur, GA

I keep it moist when ever its growing. The same with the fertilizer. Dilute, but regular. In the fall I bring it in when temperatures start dropping into the 50s and continue light watering until Nov-December. Then it goes into the back room and waits until April or so when I bring it back outside. It drops all its leaves and I trim the vines back. I trimmed the vines particularly short this year and maybe that is the reason it has shoots coming from the caudex. This plant is about 20years old. Geez, that makes me feel old....

Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

Adenia glauca, not Adenium!
:-)
This is a member of the Grenadilla family Passifloraceae...

Decatur, GA

You are exactly right. And I know the name perfectly well. It was an oversight. Thanks!! ^_^
And here are it's flowers.

Thumbnail by helenchild Thumbnail by helenchild
Sodwana Bay KZN, South Africa

:-)
And I also meant to say, yours is a gorgeous plant!
Regards, Maddy

Decatur, GA

Thanks Maddy

Decatur, GA

Update on my fat plant. At the end of the summer it looked pretty bad. Most of the foliage had died back which was much too early. I decided to get it out of the pot, which was getting tight anyway, and switch it to s/h. I didn't have a huge container and realized I needed to set some limits on the container size. So I switched it into this 8 qt size. Its sort of a tight fit for the caudex but the roots had plenty of room. The roots btw were nice and healthy. It must have signed a big one with relief because the plant almost immediately put out a bunch of new growth and I am seeing a few flower buds. It is getting too cold to leave it out much longer but it certainly made a heartening come back!
Helen

Thumbnail by helenchild
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Wow, that is one great plant. How long have you had it Helen? It looks very good in the S/H pot. My newly acquired one is doing fine in S/H too. It has several leaves growing now!

Decatur, GA

Thanks Nancy. If I can remember correctly I believe I got this plant in 1994ish. It is one of my original caudiciforms.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Quite a specimen! 20 years, wow! I had never even heard of caudiciforms in 1994!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.