the Schreiners catalog

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

http://www.schreinersgardens.com/collectors-catalog

I'd like to know how many iris are in the catalog,do they all have pics or is it a list format, and does it vary much from year to year? Is it mostly older varieties or newer ones?
I have never seen it, so I'd love to hear anyone's opinion on it before I spend money.
Thanks!

Cherryvale, KS

It has older, newer and great pictures. It is a little pricey. pic Trumped

Thumbnail by NickysIris
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I find their prices a bit steep but people who buy are impressed with the large sized rhizomes they receive. Size doesn't always make a bit of difference from zone to zone.

I think the prices are a little high too, but I wondered if the book catalog would be a good resource

Hanceville, AL(Zone 7a)

E-mail them your questions. I used to have a catalog that was just black and white with descriptions of the iris. I don't remember if it was Schreiner's. I have to remind myself that color pictures are filtered and toned to make them look really nice. The book catalog could be a good resource if you are planning on buying over the next several years. Luciee {;^)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Superstition has a fairly stripped down catalog. I think most catalogs are great resources--some just have more info than others or different info. I like to know height and general bloom seasons (early, mid, late or rebloom) but don't care much about parentage since I don't dabble in hybridizing myself.

I agree that many photos are enhanced to drive sales and some colors simply photograph different depending on the light and the camera itself. I would go for the catalog at least the one time and see if it is something you can use.

I don't usually care about parentage either but sometimes I get an iris or a daylily that I don't like for whatever reason or it is a poor performer. In that case having parentage is handy because I steer away from those offspring.

South Hamilton, MA

I order the irises for the club members auction, so I try to keep an eye on parentage. The members will buy the irises of Barbara Nicodemus at the drop of a hat, but can be silly about not bidding on those of someone newer. Not that Barbara is old.

Scheiner is my favorite and only iris mailorder nursery. I buy all my iris from them. They may be expensive but worth every penny. I get their catalog but order online. I buy only named varieties because I hybridize irises. If for some reason an iris died during the winter, they will replace it with your next order the following year. The size of the rhizomes can't be beat due to their location. Can't get them that large here in Wyoming. I always wait for their sale before I buy. I have also bought from Cooley's who was Schreiners competition.

Up until last year, they had 50% off on all their irises. And if you ordered $80 or more, you would get a free iris as a bonus. Usually that bonus is one of their new registered plants that are not in catalog for purchase.Last year they lowered their prices. I got their new 2013 catalog but afraid to look due to lack of space. Have many iris seedlings that are about to bloom at 14 months old.

The photos are beautiful but I found many of my own photos of the same is better so I don't think theirs are overrated. I still have 2 old catalogs, one from 1984, the other from 1985. Back then, $1.50 was a lot to pay for an iris. You will get a free catalog (reg $5.00) the following year after an order. You can get a free mini catalog from their website. I save every catalog for informational value.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

I know that I personally love white flower farm catalogue because it really has great info inside, the prices seem high but I really think the amount if info and quality of the catalogue reflect the company. Even though I have yet to buy from them! Haha I have bought plants I have seen there elsewhere and they've all done well.
But Because I also get all those junk catalogues with "sales" and new hyped up varieties little info and really bad ratings on the watchdog. :-/ so as a newbie I find the better the catalogue, the better my garden whether I buy the plants there or not! :) it helps me decide what I want, and what would look nice, and do well together. So I think I may also invest in this catalogue! Even if I never buy anything from there. ;)

Shepherd, MT

Scheiner's is to expensive, my club gets them, I and myself have gotten alot of rotted rhizomes, I get from all iris gardens Scheiner's is not one of them

well I usually order from Blue Jay
I just miss the paper catalogs, nice to curl up w on the couch or take on a trip.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Yes! I also like to cut them up and put the plants I want together and rearrange them with what I already have! Haha I am a nut

sounds like fun, jealous I didn't think of it first lol

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've been happy with Sutton's over the past 3 yrs. I'm still shopping around my iris business since finding so many sources since venturing online. I was super happy with my order(s) and even on my first order of about $45, I ended up with 3 of their new releases that were being sold (all totalled) for more than my order:lol:

I get their catalog as well and it has a lot of information so you may want to check out their paper catalog.

South Hamilton, MA

Sutton's is a good company

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.