ID Please

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I had this lovely clem I paid $1 for a clearance rack at Lowes about or 8 years ago. It bloomed lovely, although it did seem slow to come out in the spring. Then BAM! it died :( This is the 2nd yr I haven't seen it.
So if someone could ID it or at least get me a name close enough I can't tell the difference, I would be much obliged.

Thumbnail by FrillyLily

here is another pic of it

Thumbnail by FrillyLily
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It's difficult to make a positive ID but here's a photo by DG's Sue Brown (Calif_Sue) of Proteus.

The next is my own collage showing our Proteus (upper right corner).

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

oh THANK YOU! those pics look spot on!

that does look like it! I looked it up and it is an older variety which would probably be what a lowes would carry in large quantities.
I will have to find me one of those and order it!
Thank you! thank you!

You're quite welcome! Proteus blooms can be double or single or both at the same time.

That is how mine was. so I am sure that is it then.

I read somewhere that the blooms on the old growth are dbl and the blooms on new growth are single. I am not sure if that is true though or not...

My DG friend, Zuzu, in California has Proteus and it blooms singly and doubly at the same time. Mine is mostly single blooms.

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

I have been trying to figure out what variety of Clematis mine is. I have had it for about 30 years and sure that I got it at one of the big box stores and it looks a lot like the pic you posted except that it is double never ever seen single blooms on it. Here are some pictures of it see what you think if it is Proteus or something else.

Thumbnail by ryguy319 Thumbnail by ryguy319

I can't be positive but Proteus is the closest I could come. Here's a link that might help you:

http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/large-flowered-clematis-3/clematis-proteus-177.html

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

This one is the closest thing I think I have seen that really reminds me of my Clematis and I think that one of the other things is that I know that it is an old variety and Proteus was hybrided in the year 1800 and something a very old Clematis.
And mine also does rebloom very sparsely later in the summer and you know I think they do rebloom as a single. I will have to be very conscious in watching for that.
And it is in bloom right now too which seems to be the pattern for Proteus.
This has been a very good year for this Clematis too I think because of all the rain we have gotten this spring/summer we have gotten lots of rain.
I may take another picture tomorrow and see if I can get one with the blossom all the way opened up and I will post.
Please watch for it. Thanks

I'll be watching for more photos, Jan, but I do think Proteus is the most likely.

Owosso, MI(Zone 5b)

Arlene Thanks I think you are right I'm really glad to get the info about it.

You're welcome. Enjoy it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.