zone for a tree

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/265/

Does anyone know if this tree will grow in Springfield MO? Our winters sometimes get to 5 below or maybe 10 below F if we have a freaky spell.
We do get large amounts of rain sometimes and bad winds, storms. Summers are humid and sometimes we get wet summers, and sometimes dry. Well in MO they say if you don't like the weather, just wait a few minutes lol

We also tend to have somewhat heavy clay soil unless it is amended.
I seen some of these pretty trees in OK, and really liked them, but I don't recall ever seeing them around here.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

There is likely someone who has tried this tree, and maybe even someone who has had one live for a while in Missouri.

Since you have had to ask - that should probably tell you something about your chances for reasonable success.

If this sort of tree is what you REALLY want to see grow, a reasonable facsimile is the X Chitalpa tashkentensis, which is a hybrid between the Chitalpa linearis you linked to and Catalpa bignonioides. That plant has been grown around the midwest for many years.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58425/

In my opinion, these will just be novelty plants in bloom - and relatively boring non-performers the rest of the year. You would likely enjoy many other plants a lot more - with a lot less trouble.

But - gardeners are always reaching beyond their grasp...

Well that seems to have some reviews not so good, sounds like it doesn't like humidity maybe. I don't really care about the blooms at all, I liked the fine foliage on it,and the fact that it doesn't get too large. I love weeping willows, but don't have a suitable spot for one.
Of course we always want something we can't have !

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I had one which languished and died a slow anonymous death.
Bloomed the first year, never after.
There are many beautiful trees which love our weather, so I wouldn't waste your time w/ chilopsis.

Homer, GA

if this is catulpa !
we have in central gerogia , also an excellent source of fish bait
in the form of worms.

georgiacat

lol my crepe mrytles are collecting worms this year...

Homer, GA

Lily
if your crepe myrtle are doing well and if you are looking at a catulpa tree variety you would probably be okay.
however,although they make a great shade tree and nice
blooms they have a massive seed pod drop.these pods
usually contain worms, not harmful and loved by Ga. fishermen as bait for fishing. true but not lol.

georgiacat

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

In my experience, Crepe Myrtles collect worms, lol (earthworms) because they dieback to the ground every year, (if it's cold in the Winter, like it usually is). Springfield is a couple hundred miles South of here, maybe they do better there. They sell Crepe Myrtles at box stores and nurseries here but I don't know why, I don't think anybody wants to make them a houseplant!
I bought Crepe Myrtles 'Dynamite' and 'Acoma' and both came back, but as pretty shrubs, which isn't so bad I guess, but I wanted trees then.

edited to say: As an aside the Crepes didn't show growth until early June so they might appear dead here in Mo. if one is looking now.

This message was edited May 24, 2013 2:32 PM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Frilly, for fine foliage and not too large, maybe a Locust? Some are used here in parking lot landscaping, they have tiny leaves, airy structure and are not big after many years.

My MIL has a locust and it has huge thorns all over it. It drops pods and sprouts up everywhere. Of course it is huge, so an old variety, probably there are thornless ones now.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

FrillyLily, you had mentioned above that you like the fine foliage look of a Weeping Willow. May I also suggest taking a look at Juniperus scopulorum 'Tolleson's Blue Weeping'
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/62573/

That is a very interesting looking tree, I will look into that. It does have a very weeping form to it and would evergreen also, that is a plus!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.