squashed tree peony

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I planted a Tree Peony 'Hesperus" fall 2008. The first two winters were severe and it died to the ground, but it recovered, and this spring had lots of buds. the leaves are pretty sparse low down, but it filled out into a nice mound about 5x5 feet. I have never done any pruning except removing winter damage. Last week we had a windstorm, and the branches are all splayed out now. Should I cut them off? stake them upright? leave them alone?
Thanks in advance.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Kansas City, MO

Had a deer do something similar to this. I cut the stems off and stuck them into the ground nearby. Several of them rooted for me. You can stake them upright and put grafting tape around the area of damage and hope the break will heal.

Good luck with your plant.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I have a peony tree and it doesn't handle hard rains - It is always gorgeous until we get heavy rain and wind. Now it's drooping over my Irisis, preventing them from getting light (they are budded, not blooming). I don't have any idea how or when to prune a peony tree. I would love it if someone could come in here and let us know! This is a peony tree, not the bush/plant.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I have one TP that got bent in the winter storms. The branches are on the ground but it is blooming. I think I'll see if it decides to root in the new place, which would be fine with me. The other plants there can be moved.

Kansas City, MO

Rosemary cover the stem with dirt deep enough so the branch will not move.

Tree peonies should be gradually pruned for shaping. Contact Rick Rogers at Brothers Peonies for excellent instructions. www.http://treony.com/

To shape prune above the leaf node. In facing node to compact plant, out facing to expand. Do not cut all the stems off.

Thank you all for your suggestions (I never called Mr. Rogers as I did not buy it from him). I did see on the website they like wind protection-seems to be true. I may have to move it-but where?
Now what?
Tree Peony Hesperus did not want her flattened woody stems to be pulled upright and staked, they did not seem to have enough elasticity for this, so I let her stay the way the wind left her. All stems survived and grew-the only one left standing grew over 2 feet! But she looks like a palm tree! Now the leaves are falling, and I think maybe I should prune her to the ground??? Now or in the spring?

Kansas City, MO

Rick does not mind being asked questions so do not worry about not buying from him. I would be tempted to leave the single stem but place wooden rods around it to strengthen the stem as you would a young fruit tree. This is an attempt to form what is called a 'standard', a plant with a single trunk similar to a tree rose.

I would also cover the other stems where they touch the soil with additional soil and perhaps bricks to hold the stems touching the ground. You could have several plants if the stems develop roots where pinned. You could then use them to trade for other things or keep.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I followed that suggestion in early summer, and it's true. The original grew a smaller straight stem, and the fallen stem became a leader to a new plant. Still a little close together to leave permanently, though, and both are rather small, but this was much easier than trying to straighten the origninal plant.

Update- I decided not to do a standard, it just did not fit the space. So in Feb I cut the whole thing down hard and crossed my fingers. Now it is a big full shrub, and even had 3 blooms!
So here is our answer-do not worry about cutting back a tree peony hard for rejuvenation if needed. It will recover quickly.

#1 Feb after cutting back hard
#2,3 May!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Terrific!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Good news! I think I'll try it with some rather weak TPs that keep getting unearthed by animals (I am looking at you, Clifford the dog).

And this year it is perfect (till the hailstorm ruined the blossoms, but this time no branch was damaged.

Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil Thumbnail by Pistil
Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

How stunning. Nice recovery work.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.