Uncarina roeoesliana blooming again

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

This spring I have had so many flowers on my Uncarina. There are so many blooming at once. I have it in bright light, but no direct sun. It is growing in S-H as you can see from the photo. I feed it occasionally when I water but not all that much. It is happy though!

Edited to say: How is everyone else doing with this plant?

This message was edited May 22, 2013 9:25 AM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Almost all my Uncarina's are in flower right now.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342 Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Which ones are they? Just beautiful. Wish I could plant them in the ground, but it freezes here and they would die. I love the tree one.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

The pink one is Uncarina stellulifera and ther other 2 are Uncarina stellulifera.

Decatur, GA

Nice Nancy and turtlewalker on the blossoms.
My Uncarina roeoesliana succumbed this past winter :-(. And my other Uncarinas are just waking up and frankly I don't remember them blooming anyway. Its been a cool to cold spring and everything I have is slow to get started.
Helen

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Correction:
The pink one is Uncarina stellulifera and the other 2 are Uncarina grandidieri and not Uncarina stellulifera.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I tried U. grandidieri, but it died for me. U. stellulifera I had never heard of before. I need to try it. I love the flowers.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

You need to remember Uncarina grandidieri likes water and can take full sun. It also likes water in the winter. It is a easy plant to grow.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Oh, my goodness, I did not realize it liked water that much. I will definitely get another and try again. I probably underwater plants because I have so many cacti that I am so afraid of rotting.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

If the leaves look like they are wilting, water. In the summer here in Florida I may water a few time a week.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Since you mentioned about the watering, I started to water the Uncarina roeoesliana every day (it is 108 degrees here) and it is so happy! Thanks for the advice.

Decatur, GA

Nancy, nice to know its happy in the heat!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, it is Helen. It starts to get unhappy when the white flies come around in July. It is a magnet for them!

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Update on my Uncarina: It is so beautiful this year. It has grown to over 18 inches tall and just keeps flowering and flowering. Also, no white flies yet!! I am very happy especially because it grows in the shade on my south facing patio right by my back door where I can look at it all the time.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

A few Uncarina's and some bromeliads in the ground planted last year.

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I wish I could plant mine in the ground but it freezes here in the desert most winters. Last year we had 5 days of 17 degrees at night. Mine would have been mush with that! They make beautiful trees TW342. I've seen them in greenhouses here planted as trees.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi everyone. I have been looking for a few years now for a pink Uncarina with no luck. I see they have lots of new pink ones in Thailand now and even orange ones. If anyone finds a source here, I would so appreciate being told. Thanks

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Kell, Nice to see you back. I have never heard of pink or orange Uncarinas but will be on the lookout.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi back!

I was doing one of my many internet searches I repeat a couple times a yearfor a pink one and up came this thread. I see Turtlewalker found a pink one.

Uncarina stellulifera is pink and so is Uncarina abbreviata. And I have read online that the new colored hybrids from Thailand are Uncarina roeoesliana which is usually yellow.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1778442/a-striking-new-colour-of-uncarina-hybrid-from-thailand

I have seen photos of really dark pink ones too so they are out there somewhere waiting for me to find them!

My yellow ones are so easy. I have had one in particular for years and it has been so abused yet it thrives and covers itself in blooms. I saw a beautiful yellow Uncarina grandidieri growing in the Enid A. Haupt Conservatory at the New York Botanical Garden in 2007 and have been so interested in them since then.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2015 8:49 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, Kell, they do so beautifully in greenhouses and I'm sure in the big "greenhouse" where you live in CA! Here in AZ I don't know if the new hybrids would work--but I would be willing to try if I find them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.