Tahitian Princess

Kenner, LA

Finally our Tahitian Princess bloomed the first time this season. What a surprise, she has a little bow on her head :)

I hope you enjoy her picture. Thank you for looking.

Thumbnail by MajiA Thumbnail by MajiA
(Zone 11)

Very pretty flower...and one of my favorite CV's.

Thumbnail by Dave67 Thumbnail by Dave67
Kenner, LA

Lovely image Dave. She is indeed a princess :)

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have 2 that I got as small babies in the late winter of 2012. They both have grown into nice plants. One bloomed last fall, but the other has never bloomed. Do you give your plants any special fertilizer?

Kenner, LA

I give them a hibiscus fertilizer that I picked up at the local hibiscus show. I think it is Carl Pool's Hibiscus Fertilizer.

(Zone 11)

I have been using Miracle grow fertilizer every two to four weeks as a foliar and a drench with good results. Tropical hibiscus will set blooms on new growth, so your plants will have to be actively growing to produce flowers. If your plants become root bound, this will also slow down the growth rate. Potting up to the next size often does wonders for these plants.

Thumbnail by Dave67
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I will try that. I have another that is blooming but is much older. I will get them in new pots as soon as I can. Of course they have to come in each winter and I usually trim them back, is that a good idea?

Kenner, LA

Yes, pruning is a necessity with tropical hibiscus to ensure flowering. I personally try to avoid Miracle Gro fertilizers as much as I can. Using fertilizers formulated for hibiscus will work better and more importantly, will be better for your plants.

Naugatuck, CT(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Pruning is a good idea, just be aware, the plant has to regrow a decent amount of branches before it will start blooming again. I have been told it's 3 months and that seems to be right in my case.
Barb

(Robin) Blissfield, MI(Zone 6a)

MajiA, Tahitian Princess's bow makes for a great profile. Both yours and Dave's are very beautiful.

Very neat looking color.

Cody

Kenner, LA

Thank you Mipii and Cody. The winter this year has been brutal. I have to see how many of my hibs will make it thru :(

Majia,you are very welcome.Yes this winter has been very rough on us.It seem like its coming from up North where they are staying hammered with the snow and wind.I hope all your plants make it through.

Cody

I second Southgal and hope all your plants make it through, fingers crossed for you.

Kenner, LA

Thank you for your wishes and kind words. We are not prepared for this kind of cold.

Majia,you are very welcome.I don't think anyone was prepared for this years weather.The weather is crazy every where.It's a weather roller coaster for sure and it's suppost to get bad again this coming week.You live farther south then me so maybe you will be ok.

Cody

I know you guys are having a rough time dealing with it. Even though we're knee deep in snow with bitter cold...I've got to feel for you. Your road crews should have been prepared for it.

Robin,it doesn't snow here that much.Only every 4 or 5 years maybe.We are talking about the freezing cold weather.I live in zone 8 and when it gets down in the 20's or 30's for the high.That is just something we are not use to.The roads crews are very good about getting out and taking care of the roads.Its just we are not use to this kind of weather hitting us like it has been this winter.This has been a very cold winter for us,when we are use to a mild winter.

Cody

This message was edited Feb 10, 2014 12:36 AM

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

In areas with mild winters, we don't have road crews that you have. There is very rarely a need for them,(maybe once every 10 years), so maintaining them doesn't make sense.
Barb

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Or we could all get these. ;)

Thumbnail by Beach_Barbie

Ha ha ha...yes, we all need one of those! That right there is some good problem solving Barbie.

Barbie,they maintain our roads here to protect the safety of everyone.That goes to show that every state is different.Sometimes we may not get bad winters,but it goes to show that they put people first here in this state when it comes to bad weather.

Cody

This message was edited Feb 13, 2014 9:11 AM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2014 9:46 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.