Who bit the dust over the winter?

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

I unexpectedly lost a couple hostas this winter, though I should have known better on the others:

'Dancing Queen' - repeatedly vandalized by the rabbits last year, still missing
'Majesty' - was on death's bed from rabbit vandalism, didn't come back
'Emerald Ruff Cut' - I ran out of time and left in pot over the winter, has 1 sickly eye
'Lakeside Black Satin' - haven't seen it yet?
'Mack the Knife' - its spot is empty, at least it was just a trade
'Rosedale Golden Goose' - I ran out of time and left in pot over the winter, has 1 miniature eye/leaf
'Sea Octopus' - never did well last summer, didn't come back

ETA that 'Lakeside Black Satin' has just been found! but still small, I think smaller than last year
ETA 'Rosedale Golden Goose' might be making a comeback! Now has 3 small leaves
ETA that one eye of 'Dancing Queen has finally emerged one with two tiny leaves

This message was edited Jun 5, 2013 7:35 PM

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

I lost a couple of mini's but not too surprised because of our drought and horrible high temps we had, I am actually surprised any of them survived. I used a soaker hose, but the tree was soaking more up than the poor little hosta's could cope with. Then I noticed over the weekend I have a couple of bare tags..... ;( so I doubt they will return, seemed like mostly new ones I should of potted and babied for a year or so.

I am amazed at over wintering hostas in pots. I have been doing that with a couple for several seasons. One really surprised me because it was in a big pot under the porch so no water but low and behold it started growing....I watered it then.

Fingers crossed on my Empress Wu, I believe it is coming back. Last year was it's first year, figured out part way thru our hot miserable summer it was planted in a bad spot so I moved it, so I have been concerned.

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I lost 'Stephen King' to rabbits. They ate it to the ground last year, so I potted it up. Was just mush this spring...

'Atlantis' and 'Spilt Milk' are very small. I dug both up and they had healthy roots, but just not growing. Both were very nice last year, so maybe suffering from the drought we had last year? I'm sure there will be some more that I'm not impressed with, but I'm still hoping that they may grow more now that we've been having warmer weather.

Charlotte, VT

I had just the opposite happen to me. Last summer Rhino Hide died on me. To my complete surprise it's growing and looks very healthy.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I lost 'Island Charm' or at least MY version of it. Never did look much like it was supposed to and it wasn't doing well. Last straw last year was when squirrels dug it up. I replanted and it made it through the season, but didn't look happy.

Also lost my last 'Masquerade' (but have reordered as it was one of my first hostas). It was also a victim of squirrels last year and wasn't doing well.

The final casualty was 'Country Mouse'. I've reordered but it WAS doing well. I decided to leave my "Mouse" planter in my enclosed porch. It's the only plant that didn't make it. Now for most of the BME family, I really couldn't care less if they died or not. Except for BME, I'm thoroughly bored with the whole family and all the many sports, half of which really look alike. But I had intended to rescue 'Country Mouse' and put it into the garden. It's a different family. I dug it up and found roots, but no crown.

I have a few others that aren't doing especially well, but except for those 3, all my hostas made it through the winter - about 200 plants, 180 or so varieties.

This message was edited May 22, 2013 8:08 AM

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I lost several that we're left in pots and not well buried. Abiqua Drinking Gourd, Jack of Diamonds, Great Expectations, Spring Fling, and Delta Dawn. Oh and Rainforest Sunrise, which was actually planted in the ground, finally died- it was looking like it was headed that way last year. Several other potted ones are damaged but hopefully will survive....a few are just hanging in by a thread.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

This was my first year with quite a few lost hostas.

1 or my 2 Sun Power
Montana Aeromarginata [one of my absolute faves]

I think there are 1 or 2 more, I just can't think of them -- and I have a few that are quickly disappearing. to about 1 tiny leaf, about the size of a quarter for my Great Exp.
not sure why so many seem to be suffering. while others are doing just fine.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I had about 12 different young types die over winter.Most were new last summer and between the heat and drought I think the stress killed them.
Kyle :-)

Kyle I am sure here that is what happened to mine. It was sooo hot and dry, then the winter was overaly dry. We are finely receiving rain and everything that survived has really bounced back.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

Some are monsters this year and others are all shrunk up into little plants.......gotta love this climate....NOT! LOL

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

The tiny bit of 'Proud Sentry' that came back after the winter is gradually withering away. It never took off after a friend shared it with me almost 3 years ago.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Well Francee certainly didn't come back as expected... Two are much later and smaller than last year! They look like minis! I dunno... I felt sure they all looked the same when I planted them. But maybe they were mislabeled?

Oquawka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have several that are a lot smaller this year. Not really sure what's causing it, because when I've dug them up they've all had decent roots on them. I'm hoping it's just a temporary setback from the drought last year.

Rose

Seems to be a common theme, Rose. I have a few that are stunted with extra thick leaves, and one that is just shorter than it should be...all for reason I can figure out. I can't figure out what happened to my potted casualties, but the in ground ones baffle me.

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I would have expected smaller this year and I do have a few that are, but for quite a few I'm surprised how much BIGGER they are. :-)

I have that too, Ann... Which is what makes it even weirder to me, trying to explain the stunted dwarfs. Many have much bigger leaves and margins, on the variegated ones.

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Lol weird year for hostas I guess! I won't blame Francee just yet then! :)

My oldest Sum and Substance is really pretty but seems to be struggling some compared to another I have planted right across from it....I agree with you Outlaw, it is a strange year for hostas.

I am going to have to write down the tags on the ones I have missing and replace them....I spent too much time making those tags...rofl.

Norwalk, IA(Zone 5b)

I was at our local hosta nursery today.I talked to several people that had lost plants for no apparent reason.So guess its nothing we did! :-)
Our nursery here carries over 1000 kinds.They have a huge display garden/ acreage.You can tour the grounds make a list and get what you just saw. I love it!

Oh maybe I need to make a road trip. Sounds like a dream come true place or a place I could get in a whole lot of trouble. lol

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

yeah, where is this?! i need more hostas!!! :)

ROFL....love the work NEED....ROFL

Albany, NY(Zone 5a)

Hahaha!!! Neeeeeeeed!!! Them! All of them!!! Must have a bigger yard....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.