Is this going to kill my young black cherry??

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

These cankers are showing up very suddenly on the leaves of my young black cherry. It's a volunteer that showed up about a year ago and has grown vigorously to about 8 feet. (I am zone 7A in northern Virginia.)

I noticed today that many of the leaves are showing cankers (at least I think that's what they are). I've attached some pictures.

What is this? I've done searches on cherry tree diseases and this doesn't seem to match any of the descriptions. Is this going to kill this little tree?

Thumbnail by betsy_VA Thumbnail by betsy_VA Thumbnail by betsy_VA Thumbnail by betsy_VA
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I would term that set of malformations galls. Look that up, associated with Black Cherry (Prunus serotina), and see if that gives you a satisfactory answer to the problem.

Galls are usually a plant's response to some intrusion by an insect. The plant forms a swelling of its tissues, often quite elaborate and unusual. For fun, look up Oak Galls. Many many forms, some looking like pink marshmallows or golf balls.

All this said - galls usually have no long lasting effect on the plant, especially the ones that affect the leaves. It is not particularly pleasing aesthetically, but I am not aware that a plant will die from it.

Cankers are usually a disease of the stems/branches of plants.

Vienna, VA(Zone 7a)

Thank you, VV -- I am likely misusing terms as I've never encountered this before.

It does sound like a gall, though the photos of black cherry galls show a projection rising from the leaf surface rather than a surface distortion. But the description of a gall in general sounds right.

I do appreciate the insight that leaf galls, while unsightly, will likely not kill the tree. I like this little guy and I want him to grow big and strong.

Thank you!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I didn't look for further information on Black Cherry galls - being pedagogical most times.

The other scenario which could result in leaf effects like this is some sort of piercing/sucking insect like aphids. If they were feeding on a leaf as it was emerging/filling out, you can get wild distortions in the "finished" leaf. Again - not a situation resulting in death, just funny looking all season.

Black Cherry usually has no trouble shrugging off life's insults, and growing on to fine proportions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.