What factors determine when Hostas appear in spring?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Last year was my first year planting Hostas. So I have been waiting for my Hostas to reappear this spring. Living in the south eastern part of Alabama I thought they would show very early, that has not been the case. I read about people in Canada saying their Hostas have already returned. Yes, some of mine have returned, but much later that others I have read about.
So my question is what are the factors that determine when Hostas return in spring? It is temperature, moisture, age of the plant? Day length, does that play a role? The amount of mulch placed over them was mentioned as a possible issue. Clay soil or loamy soil?
I have searched the internet and not come up with any information on this issue. Does anyone here know the reasons for Hostas showing up early in some places and later in other? Any ideas?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Sorry to say, but hostas need a period of dormancy. If they don't get enough, and they may not in your zone, they won't survive. There are some varieties that are more tolerant of warmer conditions and it would be wise to research them if you want to grow hostas. Other than that, I can't really offer more advice because your zone is so different from mine.

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

ViolaAnn,
Good, I understand the dormancy period and this zone does allow a lot of Hostas enough time to flourish here. But say in your zone, do you know of any conditions other than variety that determine when a Hosta will appear in spring? All the questions above but for your area? I really think all my Hostas will come back, it just seems it is taking forever and I am looking for some explanation of why it is taking so long. Of course I guess I should expect to lose a couple at least, but I am a very optimistic person!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Well, all of mine which are going to show up have done so. I've dug up the remains of a couple that didn't and found roots but no crown, though I lost only 3 of about 200 and 2 of those 3 were struggling last year. The third was in a planter in an enclosed porch and all the other plants in that planter survived well. But some plants are always last to show up like 'On Stage' and 'Fujibotan'. Both very slow. I have 'June' in 2 locations, but the one close to the foundation wall of my house is way ahead of the one that is in a shaded garden between 2 houses, but not right next to either. So conditions can play a part, but so can plant heritage. The amount of snow cover sometimes seems to play a part, but that's not likely an issue for you. Not much help, but there are a few thoughts there.

Ann

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

There is one trick you might try the next time you buy Hosta. dig them up in Oct. wash the roots off completely, cut the tops off leaving a few inches of stem. then wrap the roots with paper towel folding it over, moisen it. put the plant in a ziploc bag. and store it in a refrigerator until spring and then plant it again. I have done this for years with hosta that I divided in the fall and stored them in a utility fridge. hostajim

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Why?

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

Ok, here it is June 3rd and today I have three more hostas showing! One tiny little Zounds, one nice Northern Exposure(I think), and one Bressingham Blue (just the tip is showing but it looks like it is going to be a nice size).
I have been trying to figure out why my Hostas are so late in appearing. I have decided that a lot has to do with the amount of moisture. I notice several months ago that after a good soaking rain or watering with the sprinkler it seemed to aid the Hostas in breaking though the ground. Don't know if it just softens up the dirt or if the roots are dry and it re-hydrates them so they get a growing spirt. Any how, I had just about given up on any more Hostas making an appearance this year, and then last night we had a beautiful rain, about half an inch, and today I find three new Hostas popping up though the ground. I think the big oak trees around them may also play a part in them being so late,by drawing lots of moisture away from the Hostas. Does anyone else think moisture level plays a role in Hostas being late to appear?
The only reason I kept on the lookout for new Hostas was because I kept having late Caladiums appear, I also think the moisture level affects them, I had three more Caladiums appear today also.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.