UGLYRIPE Tomatoes

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

I picked up some tomatoes from the supermarket, Uglyripes by Santasweet.
It says they are heirloom, and there site says they ripen in about 75 days.
But has anyone on here grown them. I'm guessing they are indeterminate beefstake variety.
I like the taste, and size. But wanted some feedback before trying them in this climate.

Thanks in advance for any input.

mad

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=19815

The above link sh9ould answer all your questions about Ugly Ripe tomatoes.

Carolyn

Leesburg, GA(Zone 8a)

Carolyn

Thanks for the article, That mainly covered the ugly, not the uglyripe. But I did find a couple of other references on tomatoville. It seems like a good meaty tomato. Good for sandwiches, and stewed tomatoes. After all, there's always room for one more plant.

Mad

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ugly Ripe was mentioned as being grown and sold by a woman in FL and it was said to be an Italianheirloom if I didn'tmention that in the thread. The Procacci brothers eliminated her as comepetition by a nasty buyout so that they could promote their variety Ugly, said to be a version, if you will, of Maramande, an old French heirloom.

Carolyn

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

To add to Carolyn's comment. The Procacci brothers used Super Marmande and tried to corral the "heirloom" market. They ran into trouble with the Florida Growers Association and were seriously impaired in their marketing efforts. As a result an over supply of Super Marmande seeds were dumped on the market for a couple of years. A lot of them in the 10 cent packets in local racks. Seems to have died out now. I have grown it, nothing special.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.