Indiana plants in the woods. IDs please, part 2.

Oakland City, IN

Here's a few more. :) These are all near the edge in a recently cleared/disturbed area. Some of them are growing on or near a covered junk hole we found. :( No idea how big that thing is, or what we're going to do about it.

1. Growing near the rubbish pile.
2+3. Same plant.
4+5. Same plant.

Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

1 ash tree?
2-3 wild cherry/pear/plum
4-5 dayflower

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Agree with sallyg...

1 is a Fraxinus sp.

2-3 are images of Prunus serotina.

4-5 are images of Commelina sp.

Oakland City, IN

Thanks sally!

Viburnum, you never let me down with a reply. :) Is there anything I can look for now on the Ash species? They are growing on part of a stump, just let me know where to look. In a really horrible place, meaning I should move it if possible, you think its an ok time to do that? Thanks for all the advice you've given me. Believe it or not, I'm actually finding a lot of neat uses for the over abundance of honeysuckle. The tea is yummy!

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I don't know that I'd bother fooling around with an Ash here in the Ohio River valley anymore. The Emerald Ash Borer is slowly but surely vanquishing most all the native stands.

If you have Ash (grown trees or seedlings), enjoy them while they are here. If you have an easy-to-move seedling, do so - but with the knowledge that it may not be a real long term investment.

To evaluate your specific instance, show us some more pics of what is going on there - in daylight - so that we can make decent recommendations. If that image is a sucker from a stump, then I would delete it. Wouldn't be worth the effort to try to move - a new seedling would grow faster with less stress.

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

Agree with VV about the ash. I've seen Ash Borers around here while hiking in Clermont County, OH. Shortly we'll be saying goodbye to our ash trees in the Ohio River Valley.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.