Are these all poison ivy?

Oakland City, IN

In a confusing mass of wild dewberry, snakeroot, out of control honeysuckle, and touch me nots, I'm having trouble recognizing the bad stuff. Some of the young dewberry plants look like this too, but I'm assuming those are the ones with thorns. Does poison ivy have basal leaves? I feel like this should be easy, but it's really not. Lol, I can recognize the vines on the trees, but these bushy guys are confusing me. :-| Any additional advice on recognizing the different forms would also be super.

Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier Thumbnail by ksmaier
Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

No. I don't know the plant, but it's not poison ivy.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Agreed this is NOT poison ivy.
Poison ivy has no hairs or fuzz at all for one thing.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Who's with me? Geum canadense...

Poison Ivy (Toxicodendron radicans) is a woody plant, mostly found as a vine either prostrate or climbing in other vegetation. It can sometimes rise with erect woody stems from its ground-level condition. I have it occurring in all three of these forms here at the Valley.

It never has a basal rosette or herbaceous stems. Woody woody woody woody woody....

Oakland City, IN

Thank you so much for that! Seriously, I felt like I was making it to complicated. I think I'm trying to cram too much info into my head about several different plants when I've never tried to ID anything. Whatever, I needed a hobby.

Geum canadense does look just like it. Case closed.

South Bend, IN(Zone 5a)

White avens, Geum canadense

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I've had this exact plant on the plant ID forum with no luck.

Let me go check... I have been believing it would flower, perhaps, if I moved it to some Sun. I rescued it from the yard next door whose owner is in a nursing home and is mowed regularly. Her daughter is friendly with us and lets us use the yard to run out giant puppy.

Thanks for this. Off to compare ...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes?

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Sure looks the same to me - other than images are a bit fuzzy...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

My lens was cruddy. Oops.

Bardstown, KY(Zone 6a)

Yes it will flower, but it is also pretty 'weedy'. Had to dig mine up.

Doug

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi!

I have been watching the plant and it finally started to bloom. Insignificant white flowers. I guess the mystery for me is solved.

Thanks.

A.

Algonquin, IL(Zone 5a)

Bump!

Hi, I just discovered this thread and your pics reminded me of a plant I posted in the Plant ID forum a couple of years ago.

If you're still interested, here's the link to the thread, along with my pics and some of the responses.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1189947/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.