Garden Projects # 15

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Time we had a new thread:
we were here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307215/

Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

That nasty chrysanthemum weed is mugwort....it's all over my veggie garden & brick patio!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I get that too Rd.. have to keep up on those.. they spread like crazy

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I get it a lot in cracks by road and by the downspout

Hubby finally removed the arborvitae stump so I jumped right in there and planted my Vib Compacta and the Hellebores Rose Quartz, Amber Gem and Harlequin Gem

Thomaston, CT

Those hellebores should look great together!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Mugwort=Thugwort. Driving me crazy in one bed. Thanks for the id. Today I pulled some of it when I was deadheading Narcissus and Tulips.

Jen, your Viburnum and Hellebore combo sounds wonderful. I have been very pleased with the growth of our hellebores this spring as they are finally becoming big clumps and oh so pretty.

I spent most of the day finishing the GH clean out and arranging the plants outside. Now that is done except to add some new annuals to some of those pots to brighten them up.

Fortunately we are going off island on Thursday for our annual nursery crawl while we are up in Vermont. We will be getting veggie starts and flats of annuals as I gave up trying to start seeds as we travel too much to tend to them correctly . I don't neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed perennials, or shrubs or trees unless I see something that I have long wanted. Like a Yellow Magnolia or white flowering Red Bud. Perhaps I should just travel with a shovel and drive by Wha's house.

We move a Syringa vulgaris Madame Lemoine for the third time since buying it 2008. For a couple of years the deer ate it where it was first planted, then I replanted it in a nice spot inside the deer fence, but our dogs kept digging a big hole next to it and damaging its roots, so I gave up and moved it again today. It has no buds on it, so it wasn't very happy. Third could be the charm. Our purple Syringa vulgaris started to bloom today.

We also worked on the endless stream more today repairing the side DH dug up to fix the leak. We planted the last of the woodland plants that we bought from Garden in the Woods and the Tower Hill Primula show along that side. XOP

Trollius laxus dell bed south
Caulophyllum thalictroides dell bed south
Asarum canadense dell bed south
Primula japonica dell bed south
Phegopteris connectilis dell bed south
Caltha palustris dell bed south
Primula x polyantha scarlett with yellow eye dell bed south
Primula x polyantha yellow dell bed south
Actaea rubra dell bed south
Anemone acutiloba dell bed south

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

LOL you think Wha would notice?

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Jen, he knows every blade of grass in his garden and would know the weeds too if he had any, so I know he would notice one of his kids going to the Island Paradise. Patti

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I be he has his blades of grass numbered!!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Mugwort, UGH! Now I have a name for it. Thanks, Marilyn.

Lol! Have shovel, will travel, eh Patti? I won't tell Bill if you won't.

Karen

Thomaston, CT

Yes, Bill would notice! Good luck plant hunting....I bought Wedgewood Blue angelonia, white wax begonia, & tall snapdragons for my wellhouse garden....will plant them tomorrow....I hope!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Have fun planting, Marilyn!

Karen

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Hit country gardens this morning and got a mess of annuals and veggie starts. Just went to Katsura Gardens and it was heart stopping. Owner very nice. Bought one Japanese maple but could have bought a dz. We left drooling. Will photo it when we get to vt. Off to Boston then Vt.

Thomaston, CT

Don't give Bill the address!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am sure he must know about it. He has so many maples and conifers in all sizes plus some perennials and grasses. Pstti

Thomaston, CT

Yes, his gardens are so lovely....I went to a plant exchange at my art class today...picked up a Jacob's Ladder & a Siberian....

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Patti, was that Kennedy's Country Gardens in Scituate that you went to? I LOVE that place! One of my faves. Love Katsura Gardens, too. They put in a gorgeous garden at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth. Lots of what I call "Dr. Suess trees". You were practically right down the road from me. Even if you had time to stop by, I was at work.

Karen

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Karen, i will make plans with you for a proper visit to see you this summer. We have had work done for us at Chatham refinishing on several occasions, and as we were dropping off a chair there yesterday I saw an opportunity to finally go to Katsura. I also stop for gas at BJ's at Exit 5 all the time which must be reasonably close to you. Glad to hear about Kennedy's as I didn't know about it. We were at Hyannis County Gardens. I don't think they are related.

The tree we bought was a small 1 gal. A. palmatum Amagi Shigure. Slow growing upright with bright brick red leaves with prominent black veins wih vivid orange, red and purple fall colors. 6'x3' zone 5.

Out to unload truck of all the plants we bought yesterday. Pain, but we wanted to get most of what we needed before we head back on late boat on Monday. We figure taking them to Vt for a couple of days won't hurt them and the nursery still had s good choice. Patti

Thomaston, CT

That JM sounds just beautiful.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

wah: here is the Syriuse all leafed out.It doesnt look too bad.

Better pix when daylight comes.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Thomaston, CT

Looks fine, Jo!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

After loosing half the tree in Feb snow storm .It looks pretty good.
The scar is visible in some views

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

does look fine

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll take the tree if you don't want it :) I think it will become even more interesting as it ages. The injuries give it character in my book.

Norridgewock, ME(Zone 5a)

I've been working all spring on making the new deck fit into the landscape. The collage shows how it looked last fall and the new border, as well as the rock garden in the box. Originally that was going to be a pond, but we decided against it and made it a rock garden instead. I'm trying various ground covers to fill in around the mugo pine in the rock garden and will keep whichever one grows best in this environment.

Thumbnail by granitegneiss
Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

granitegneiss, that is a real project. I think the transition over the rock garden or dry stream is a wonderful and inventive idea. Kitty looks happy too. Can't wait to see more. Patti

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Really nice. The rock garden is very attractive already.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Nice deck and garden.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I love it Wynne, looks great!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Beautiful! My, you have been busy!!! Love the rock garden

Thomaston, CT

Yes, it's looks wonderful already!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks great!

Hubby so busy with work that I had to mow the lawn, he started it up and then gave me instructions...there's no brake, use clutch and neutral, key is broke, the 1/2 is on the workbench and try not to go to fast on the corners....geez!
LOL I did pretty good, missed 1 spot...I think the dog was standing there when I went by but I still don't know why I didn't see it...LOL good thing it was the back yard

Thomaston, CT

Hate the lawn mower....I have a lawn service, but have to mow a few strips inside my veggie garden....sometimes I use the weed whacker, but I hate that also!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I love it...I would do the weed wacking too but we have a gas one and it's too top heavy for me(and the guard is missing)

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

how did I not follow a project thread!!!!!!!!!!

I do not have my blades of grass numbered and I have let the weeding go a bit - I do have mulch to spread and the beds will be cleaned clear of weeds bed by bed as the mulch is spread - I have several projects going on and some will take time (rock walls) and I have left the beds to themselves until I had to clean them up. I will show pic's next weekend of what is happening - now to go check out this Amagi Shigure

oh and I took delivery of two jm's from a new source last week - maples something in Ohio - topiary gardens ran out of Sherwood Elfin (good guess, it is a dwarf) that Diana spoke highly about and got a 3 yr. tree for $30 that was nice in full and just short of 3' tall - after taking to the owner (no phone # on the site, so I emailed and interrogated :) )
I ended up buying a very small Duncan and Davies (they introduced the shirazz from New Zealand) typical green jm that is supposed to have fantastic fall color, will plant it in the back of the yard for fall interest in the distance.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

http://buchholznursery.com/plant_page.html?id=d23c9

Amagi Shigure looks like a great little tree, very similar to purple ghost although in the pictures it has some of the green amber ghost coloring as well. great find patti will have to think about adding that one.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Wha, you mean I have one that you don't? Amazing. I think I am out of room for more of them so I will have to just come see yours. Patti

Thomaston, CT

Pretty....love the description of the fall coloration. My project yesterday was to rejuvenate a hosta bed....the hostas were disappearing because the pines that shaded them were cut down. I kept the few that were doing OK, then planted daylilies in amongst them... There is one echie that the birds planted......now I have to mulch the bed.

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Still looks good even without the pines. Anything planned to go there, Marilyn?

Keeping my fingers crossed. DH set up an estimates from a stone mason for steps, terrace, patio stones and digging a continuous stream in view of our dining room. Keeping my fingers crossed. We liked the guy whose company did our front because he didn't need detailed plans in order to make a lovely setting with Pennsylvania limestone and bluestone. No way I'm going to dig a trench or haul boulders so this is progress.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

good luck with that quote!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.