Stars & Stripes Bloom

Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Anyone else have Stars & Stripes blooming? It's been a while since I have posted.

Thumbnail by IrisUniverse
Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

I thought you might find it intersting to see my expanded Iris Bed. To prepare the bed I rented a sod cutter to remove the sod. Rolled up the sod and moved it to some bare spots in the backyard. It is worth the modest expense to rent the machine. Had four yards of Super Soil delivered and basically dumped in my new bed. Of course I had extra soil for other yard projects and beds. Mix included: peat, leaf humus, top soil and a little sand. Some of the other Iris blooming are dwarfs but I don't have their names. Hope you enjoy them.

Thumbnail by IrisUniverse Thumbnail by IrisUniverse Thumbnail by IrisUniverse Thumbnail by IrisUniverse
Leacock-Leola-Barevi, PA(Zone 6b)

Wow, your iris bed is really nice! I did not know there is something called a sod cutter machine. Is it very big? Is it easy to set up and operate?

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

That's a pretty good way to make beds, I've done several that way. Problem is, where we are now, we don't really have sod, Just sand held togeather with weeds! So here I've been laying out a border of landscape timbers, filling with "good soil", and then tilling it in to mix it with our sand. it's a little work, but the end result looks pretty fair.And your efforts look VERY nice !...Arlyn

Twinsburg, OH(Zone 5a)

Hi, Kousa, The machine is manageable, but you need some strength to handle it. A sod cutter is so efficient and precise. You can control the depth of the cut as well; depending on how thick the sod is. The machine comes ready to go; including filled with gas. Most tool rental places offer them. I paid 50.00 for three hours. Well worth it. Hello Crowrita, I see what you mean; sand and weeds; need some good soil enrichment eh; or is the sand good enough to grow Iris? OK, you mention filling in with good soil. Iris tend to like a sandy soil. Good luck. Sounds like your work is cut out for you, but it will be worth it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.