Clematis surprises!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Recently spotted these two baby clematises, about 3' apart, in the garden. They are in a spot where I would never have planted them, in with Japanese irises. Right now I have to think they were self-sown seeds. It will be fun watching them grow and bloom, then they'll have to be moved.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

COOL!

Cartersville, GA

pirl, how big should clematis seedlings be to transplant them? I have found several very small ones that have sprouted in a pathway below the parent clematis. This is a pathway that will soon be covered with wood chips. Could I scoop up the surrounding soil keeping the roots intact and transplant these tiny seedlings to pots now?

Doris

Try it. Keep them damp but not drenched. I have a very similar issue with two seedlings so I'll be giving it a try as well.

Cartersville, GA

Thank you. I will give it a try. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for posting. I'll put it on the endless "to do" list we all seem to have. There is a third one from last year in another garden nearby so some plant must have been generous with some fertile seeds.

Cartersville, GA

We have a pretty lavender seedling blooming now that I have been watching. It may have bloomed last year and I missed it. It is nice to get these little surprises. I have to be careful and pull up or dig up any sweet autumn clematis that come up from seeds in the flower beds. If I wait too long, they have grown good roots and have to be dug out.

The seedlings are exciting because of the unknown colors they'll be.

I've heard such horror stories about the SAC. My husband ripped out the only one we ever had and now I'm glad he did.

Last night I did dig up the baby clem's - what tiny roots! I put them all in one self-watering pot with manure and compost and mulch on top. Today I staked them. It will be fun to watch them grow.

Doris - did you plant your clem babies yet?

I'm writing from the library as my computer isn't being cooperative today so I'll get back here tomorrow.

None of the clematis babies that I potted up are showing anything but black leaves so I'll cut off the stems and allow them to remain potted to see what happens.

Found another surprise recently. We've often talked of how clem's can remain dormant for a year or more. Well, this clem, Etoile Rose, was planted a few years ago, got trampled by the crew doing clean up after the storm, Irene, in 2011. Now there's a sprig growing. Seems like this should have a fantastic set of roots by now! We'll see what develops this year.

Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.