Quick question Aphids

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

It has often been suggested to spray aphids with a strong stream of water to wash them off a plant. My question is what happens to the aphids that are washed off? Do they die or just crawl back up and reinfest? Or just eat what ever is growing below?

These are both yellow and black on a sweet autumn clematis that is huge. (Tried hand squishing yesterday, but there are many leaves! Don't care so much about the clematis (Could just cut it way back) but am concerned about other plantings in the vicinity (Japanese maples, blueberries...) Will be looking at other new growth plants and other clematis near by.

Haven't had to deal with aphids before.

On a positive note, did see ladybird beetles mating!

Plano, TX(Zone 8b)

I've only heard the stream of water trick is to be used on spider mites, as they don't fly and the water drowns them. For aphids, the lady bugs you mentioned are a great natural solution. A single lady bug will eat about 50 aphids a day and they will not stop until they are gone. You can get about 1500 Lady bugs for around $12.00 at your store or on eBay. Release them at night so they don't fly. Soapy water is sometimes recommended as the soap kills them, not the water, and doesn't harm the plant. Other chemical treatments are available, too.

Crestview, FL(Zone 8b)

Saw in another thread that they can't crawl back up and so they just die or are eaten by something else.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Just an update. Ended up cutting off about a third of the worst looking and most infested growth, being careful to relocate ladybug nympths. Now most leaves have at least one nympth eating away. figure this may keep me in ladybugs for the season. So far no spread that I've noticed., too busy with winter moth caterpillars that are loving my blueberries and Japanese maples.

Toybox, hope you are right that displaced aphids just die! Or maybe those are the ones the ants collect!

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

My new (to me) and favorite spray: Azamax. Has worked wonders at my house. Organic, safe around people and pets. Does not harm honey bees but will take care of aphids, caterpillars and more. Gene

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks Gasrocks, I will check that out!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

azamax is a derivative of Neem and Neem is great but be aware that sprayed directly on bees will kill them. once it's on the plant, the bees are safe.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.