Dividing Onoclea sensibilis - Novice needing help.

Oakland City, IN

I found a patch of this in my woods and want to transplant some of it to other areas in the woods, as both a learning experience and to spread it around a little bit. The patch I've found is about a 3 foot circle. I dug up some clumps and moved them to a different area, where they seem to be doing fine. My question, is each frond sticking up on it's own stem a separate plant? I've read that these get pretty large, but I don't know how these could possibly do that with as close as they are.

I'm totally new to gardening, and I thought it would be better to start with plants I have found on my property, especially since we have a honeysuckle situation so I wanted to move any plants that have ornamental or other value. Thanks for your help!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I brought some to my yard. It seems to creep out underground and go further year by year. I think your stems are connected by the roots.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

ksmaier:

Good for you for promoting use of plants that are "homegrown" - except for the dastardly Amur Honeysuckle, of course.

Also - consider that the Sensitive Fern has managed to perform just fine without any of us gardeners helping it, for a few millenia or thousand. I'm sure it does appreciate the invasives removal, though.

Keep us informed of your progress. Before, during, and after images are excellent teaching tools for those that follow in your footsteps.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.