Hosta Variegation reverting

Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Hosta Lovers,

I have a couple of Hostas ... June and First Frost that are showing signs of reverting to a solid colour on some leaves. Do they need dividing?

sample shown here...

Thanks

Thumbnail by a5footsea
Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Divide out the blue and call it 'Halcyon'.

Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

LOL - yes of course!

Thanks ViolaAnn

Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

I think my June is starting to do this, too. I see a couple leaves on one eye that are mostly blue. I wish it wasn't doing it- I hate digging up and dividing.

Royal Oak, MI(Zone 6a)

My Dixie Chickadee came up with two green eyes this spring. Bummer!

Thumbnail by Eleven
Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

I think I will try 2 ideas - divide one and just snip off the leaves on the other and see what comes up next year. I don't really mind the effect, just curious as to what might be causing it and if it will continue.

Photo is of First Frost with solid yellow leaves.

Thumbnail by a5footsea
Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

My June sent up some reversions. I was going to split it… i went to dig it up and the whole plant is suffering. Only two June and two reversion plants, and stunted growth. I've put it in a pot, we'll see.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

I like the yellow 5footsea, maybe it is sporting...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

For whatever it is worth-----

A long time ago, (I learned from a Grower I worked for) that variegation is a "man made" version
of the otherwise solid colored same plant and, sometimes, the green wins out.
Also--that variegated forms of a plant are less sturdy and not as hardy or long-lived as its non-variegated counterpart.

A good example is the Golden Pothos or the Marble Queen Pothos--which will, randomly,
shoot out a solid green stem which grows much faster and sturdier and tends to take over
the variegated stems. To maintain a purely variegated Pothos--you need to cut off the green
stems at the base.
Another common plant, as an example, is the Schefflera Arboricola--which also comes in
solid AND variegated versions. There are many more.....

Soo--perhaps on your Hostas--"eleven" and "a5footsea"--that is what is happening.
The green or yellow is raising its head over the variegated version of the plant
and claiming its dominance.

I have NO actual data to support this--just word-of-mouth garden learning over the years.

Gita

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

I have a streaked sport of 'Pewterware' that a friend gave me. This year, a portion of it has reverted to solid blue. I'll be dividing it soon and then I guess I'll finally have 'Pewterware' in my garden.

Thumbnail by ViolaAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.