A strange sport from seeding(filename:0509-1)

taipei, Taiwan

I’ve seen a similar cultivar from Japan, but that one(filename:0509-2called as”Sairishi Ero”) had disappeared from the market since 30 years ago. Do you have any identified products like this one?

Thumbnail by Yubiker Thumbnail by Yubiker
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have never seen anything like them. Did you search Rosy Dawn and PlantFiles pages on coleus?

taipei, Taiwan

Of course I did, and I found that there are some cultivars from Japan never appear in the coleus market in USA. That is why I come here to find the answer.
Some cultivars with so slender leaves did exist in Japan many years ago. If you take a close look at their foliage, these two are quite different from each other. The yellow one (file name: 0509-2.jpeg) was created by “SAKADA”seeds company in early 1970’s.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

They remind me of one I had but mine was colorful and not quite as long or narrow leaves. Good luck in your search.

taipei, Taiwan

The green one grows better now, but seems not to bloom. I think it can be developed as a new valuable cutting-grown sport.

Thumbnail by Yubiker
Zephyrhills, FL

Oh, the yellow one blooms, so possibly, does it make seeds. I would love trading you something for some of them. I love growing coleus from seeds during the winter mos. here in Central Florida. I have a few nice lookers, named varieties, but I don't know what their names are. I can get pictures.

taipei, Taiwan

I am afraid that the yellow one (called as “Sarishi Ero”) has been extinct for many years. Now the original nursery in Japan no longer sells its seeds. On the other hand, the green one seems not to bloom, so I have to keep cutting its branches frequently.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

You never get true to parent plants from seeds unless you isolate and hand pollinate them. I would be more than happy to pay for some cuttings.
So even if you got seeds they would definitely be interesting, but not exactly like either plant.
Sugar

taipei, Taiwan

I am sure the yellow one is a seed-grown type. And we could only buy seeds from the Japanese company in 1970s. While I still believe this cultivar was originated from USA or other countries. Because it is so different from other coleus, I think we have to take chance to wait for new similar sports' appearing in the future.
As regards the green ones, I think the only way for preserving is by cutting, it seems not to bloom and becomes weak recently.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Have you tried to put a teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide in a cup of water, or 1/2 cup to a gallon of water and watering with that.
It will help control any fungus and give the plant some extra oxygen to the roots.
Can you get mail order plants from the US? Are you a native Tiwaniian?, or just living there?
Great to meet overseas coleus folks.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Sugarweed, your Henna is lovely.
Marcia

taipei, Taiwan

Adding Hydrogen Peroxide? That is a great idea! I will do what you said as soon as possible, for fungus is always the most fearsome trouble to my coleus especially when I use automatic spraying equipment.
Yes, I am a native Tiwaniian, but I had lived in New Orleans for 1year to finish my graduate study. What a wonderful place New Orleans is! I have collected coleus for many years, but I started to import plants from Rosy Dawn a few months ago, which cannot be done without the transferring made by my sister in LA.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.