More native things blooming in a Tennessee yard

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Some native vines and shrubby plants. Crimson Honeysuckle, Tangerine Crossvine, Hubricht's Bluestar, Golden Jubilee Agastache.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Silk Grass, Grass-Leaved Golden (Pityopsis graminifolia)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

White Mulberry (Morus alba)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Cville,

Great pics of the natives! I'm loving the Mulberry. Is it a prolific reseeder?
mike

This message was edited May 10, 2013 6:37 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Only in disturbed areas around here. It's a naturalized tree here and so much so as to be considered almost "native". lol. This one along our fence is probably 40 years old and very well-behaved. No problem with re-seeding or big roots as some complain about. Love the berries it produces. I do have to race the birds to them but they get their fair share up at the top where I can't reach them.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

It's listed as invasive here for the white variety so I'm on the lookout for the Morus ruba. I've got a good bit of native trees in my yard that I've planted and am always looking to add more. My daughter's love the birds we get and I have to say I do as well.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, the Morus rubra is a native. This one was here when we moved in so I make the best of it. I am looking to add M. ruba as well.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Eastern Redbud (Cercis canadensis)

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Is that the "Forset Pansy" cultivar of the redbud? in the thrid pic?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it is Forest Pansy. Good eye there.

On second thought, since the M. rubra and M. alba hybridize freely, the one I have could be a hybridized tree. The former owner of this property, who was also the original owner, seemed to be keen on getting things from the woods behind us and transplanting them into the yard. So I'm really not exactly sure. It has leaves and characteristics of both but more so the alba. It's unfortunate that the M. alba threatens the M. rubra because of that hybridization. :(

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I have had my eye on those FP redbuds for a few years now. There are some at the arborteum here that are pretty tall and just look amazing. I have three of the eastern ones in my yard, two of which are nothing more than twigs at this point but I do have one that is in the 8ft range and branching out nicely. Those along with my three dogwoods make the front yard look really nice in the spring time.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I highly recommend Forest Pansy. This is a (lousy) shot of it this morning. It's raining here and I took this from the window. Anyway, it has grown this tall in about three years. It was a 1 or 2 gallon plant when I purchased it. It's a great redbud in all seasons.

My other other easterns have grown a lot as well.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I haven't seen one in the fall, what color are the leaves in fall? I am planning on getting one of these just haven't made up my mind when. Maybe in the fall. Just about too hot to be planting trees now.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That's right, you're a full zone warmer there. The last shot here shows the red fall color:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/plant-finder/plant-details/kc/r400/cercis-canadensis-forest-pansy.aspx

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

And another native vine blooming in the back, Toxicodendron radicans. (Yes, it has been sprayed.)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Jack in the Pulpit (Arisaema triphyllum)
Wild Coral Honeysuckle
Tradescantia virginiana 'Blueberry Sundae'

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Meant to post this yesterday since it was "Wildflower Wednesday" across the blogosphere. Lots of bloggers posting gorgeous wildflower pictures and more.

Here is one near me: http://www.clayandlimestone.com/

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Tennessee's Native Plant Alternatives to Exotic Invasives

http://www.se-eppc.org/pubs/tnalt.pdf
http://www.se-eppc.org/pubs/tnalt.pdf

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Nice posts and some good resources here. Thanks!

FYI to you and Mike both, I have the Morus rubra full of fruit and songbirds. I am just beginning to ship seedlings. Let me know if you're interested. I'm not sure how to sex them ( leaf shape varies widely) but you're supposed to have male and female both to produce fruit.

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I am interested, Amanda. I will pay shipping. Thanks. I have fruit on my M. alba and I think they will cross-pollinate so I may be good as far as fruit goes.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Okay Dearie - I will put together a bouquet for you.

A.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thank you. ^_^

Tradescantia virginiana 'Sweet Kate'
Bed of mostly natives
Aster 'Raydon's Favorite'
Nepeta 'Walker's Low'

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Now that aster looks less than blue. interesting the variety.

The rabbits have turned on my asters I think I mentioned. Did I also mention that Susan brought me a "Lady in Black"? Supposed to be white with a red (!!!) center??!. And the foliage is burgundy. The bunnies must have stood on their toes to get a snip snip of THAT one out of the pot it is still planted in.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The flash probably fired. It's a blue aster.

Wonder why they call it 'Lady in Black'?

Durn bunnies. Cute ... but.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Carole - is your profile pic/avatar a helenium or coreopsis?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Well, behind door #3 is a Gaillardia. :) Most of mine are orange and yellow.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

The avatar. Before this one - was gaillardia? Can't remember the name of that one, ppf.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Yes, it was a yellow gaillardia. I do like the orange and yellow ones though.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I am tying to resuscitate a G. ' Burgundy' that I started from seed from last year's robin. I had two. Giant puppy trampled one over winter and it died a slow painful death. Something trampled the second one this year, and it was just about to bloom! :/

I cut it back and thought that would do it but it was actually rotting from all our rains. pulled it up the other day and see some new growth along the main root. A couple of pieces came away from the base. Will be interested to see if they will survive.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

G. 'Burgundy' is a nice one. It's one I haven't grown. I hope yours survives.

It stormed and rained all night long last night - the remnants of the weather system that spawned the OK tornado. I don't think we had a lot of wind - at least the power didn't go off. I'll have to go out in a bit and survey the scene.

OK, sneaking in a rose or two just for the pretty factor.

'Abraham Darby'

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Pretty factor achieved!

If some of these burgundy clumps survive I'll save one for you. May even have a few seeds left to send you in the stash that I am planning for you. :)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks!

Now I have a question. What is a vine with small leaves and very small brownish flowers? Neener sent it to me several years ago and I thought it was a goner after it was whacked with a weedeater by someone edging the fenceline. But I noticed yesterday that it is sprouting new growth from the brown dead remnant of a woody vine. At first I thought Carolina milkvine or matelea of some type but I think they are all herbaceous? This is not sprouting new growth from the base but rather from the old wood. Does any of that ring a bell? I'll try to get a picture but right now the leaves are very small and no blooms yet.

This photo has nothing to do with the question. :)

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

It does ring a bell, but so distant I can barely hear it. Could it be an Aristolochia of some kind?

Here's a list of flowering vines for FL.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg097

If I come across some other reference I'll let you know.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

The blooms are very small so I don't think so. I'm in Tennessee but Florida is nice too. Maybe more so in the winter than this time of year. ^_^

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

We share a lot of natives with Florida. I know where you live!!!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I still haven't found it. I'm almost certain I used to know what it was so hoping I'll recognize it one of these days. Just happy to see it growing again.

This message was edited May 25, 2013 5:01 AM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

http://tynnativeplants.wordpress.com/

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Rain barrel stencils -

https://ag.tennessee.edu/tnyards/Pages/Rain-Barrel-Painting-Stencils.aspx

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Our native irises ...
http://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/beauty/iris/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.