Is there a dark Heuchera/ella/Tiarella for SE Full Sun?

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I know there are some Heucheras, Heucherellas and Tiarellas that will tolerate or even like full sun. I am in central NC and I need a dark purple, black, burgundy, dark red foilage perennial to compliment Blue Princess Verbena (lavender flowers) and Glow Girl Spireas (bright lime foilage). Burgundy is the other color that is mixed into this border (along with buttery yellow, FYI). I thought about Eucomis Sparkling Burgundy and will probably still mix that one in a bit, but really, Heucheras (etc.) are the perfect plant b/c they have all the colors that I would want to blend in. Burgundy, Lime, Purple, etc. BUT will any of the darker varieties take sun from 10:00 am until about 4 pm? I have noticed that some varieties (like Solar Eclipse) say that they took 100 degree days, but then Lazy S still lists them as part sun in the South. Anyone had any success with full sun in the SouthEast on any of these? I know Obsidian has had great success, but what else?

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Ajuga?

I have been successful keeping loropetullum at low height but you have to stay on it. Perhaps you could consider that or wine and roses wiegelia or a barberry

No, Ajuga isn't tall enough. Needs to be higher than 8 inches and less than 2 feet range. I did consider wiegelia, but really need more of an evergreen, which is why I was thinking about Heuchera. I have a loropetalum at the back of this area, so need something different. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

I figured ajuga would be too low but wasn't sure if you just needed low filler to wind in and around. Have you been to plants delight on sauls road? Only open to public a few weekends /year but those folks can help you. You can order the catalog ( free) ( it says you will get free a few times and then unless you send postage or box chocolates it stops ) tony Avnet - owner is the hosta guy but it is a huge nursery and botanic garden with lots of plants every color size shape and need. Another option if you can't locate what you need is to place a 'thing' in the space in the color of your choice. A small children's classroom chair painted in the color you need holding a pot of annuals in another color ( the chartreuse and burgundy?) a birdbath, I have a beautiful egg shaped lime green glass birdhouse just for that reason sitting next to a kaleidoscope abelia. I just thought of something - I have a really interesting euphorbia (?) frowning. It is maybe 15 inches high and 1.5 wide. Hot green with the brighter tips so not the burgundy/red that you need but you may want to keep in mind in case you need a hot green. What about the pigmy barberry? I cut mine back ever single year and they don't care one whit.

Yes, love Plant Delights, go there as much as I can, but their Heuchera selection is a little wanting in the darker dept. right now. Kind of small, too (not compared to other mail orders, but compared to local nurseries right now, of course). I already have a rose glow barberry in that area as well, so really just looking for full sun heucheras.

Went out local hunting today and found an obsidian. Beautiful! Wish they had more, but there was only one. I also found Amethyst Mist at another local place and grabbed two of those. I read a few people say that they can take full sun like Obsidian can, so we shall see. The good news is if they don't, I have a new shade bed that they can be moved to later. I think I'm going to alternate with Obsidian and Amber Mist. They look a lot alike, but where Obsidian is solid, Amethyst Mist has the same color range, but more of a variagated light and dark leaf. They look good together. Now, to find two more Obsidian's that are comparably sized...

That is what I get for reading your post so quickly. I though you wanted the heucheras but would not tolerate so needed a replacement with the red foliage! I got a tiarella years ago from plants delight and it was the best fragrance - so clean, I wrong-sited it - it is living and healthy but never moved in size or spread. Have you gone to Bradshaw Nursery in Amgier? Dirt cheap! You can bring a trailer and load up. Problem-- NOTHING has a label. Acres and acres -- and acres - but all in the sun. I got a bunch of trees and shrubs. All very healthy. The prices were so good being the good catholic girl,that I am I felt like I should should make a confession.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

My Heucherella Sweet Tea did well in the sun. It survived 4 years, but alas, either it died or the yard cleaning guys knocked it off. Was a lovely plant.

Galien, MI

Besides asking for everyone's help here, I like to check the regional plant trials when I trying to decide. The one in NC is at - http://ncsu.edu/jcraulstonarboretum/horticulture/gardens/annual_plant_trials/annual_plant_trials.html . I found that checking in previous years, under "best of breed" had a dark one that they recommended. The winter results had heuchera's - couldn't find them for the summer. Heuchera hybrida 'Dolce Blackcurrant'-"Heuchera scored well one year. Univ. of G. has some trials, also. Georgia peach got one of their awards. It appears that nothing shows up on their links, but you have to select a year (bottom right side) for the plants to show up. Confusing websites!

Gardenweb had some good discussions on southern heucheras, also. you can try searching there also.

As I understood it, anything less than 6 hours of sun is considered part sun. That seems to describe your spot. Also, any quick growing annual, such as sunflowers, can give just that extra bit of shade heucheras need.

Rhinebeck, NY

Midnight Rose should work. It's a sport of Obsidian and really beautiful; should fit your color scheme.
Purple petticoats ought to fit, as well.
Heuchera brizoides 'Pluie de Feu' seems to adjust to almost every climate and level of sun. It's got a bright, deep green foliage and really rich red flowers that never seem to stop blooming all Summer (great in bouquets. I've grown literally hundreds of these from seed, and they are fast growers and just wonderful plants. My favorite heuchera. Worth a try.
Also, the old standbys "Palace Purple" and "Bressingham Bronze" are very flexible in habitat --- probably much moreso than the newer and flashier hybrids --- although the amount of sun does affect the color of both plants.

Stroudsburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have both Purple Petticoats and Amethyst Mist in full sun and they are thriving. Of course I live in PA so that might make a big difference. Try it. That's the only way to know. Sorry there's no sun in this picture. I just took it and the sun hasn't reached the west side of the house yet.

Thumbnail by rteets

Update: The obsidian is doing wonderfully in full sun, one has hardly faded at all, the other in a bit more sun has just taken on multi-color darkness. Both Amethyst Mist has definitely changed from the full sun, but I think I like the changes that it has undergone. It's funny, all four plants look different even though there are only 2 varieties here. Here are some pics, just entering into summer here, but we have had plenty of 80 and 90 degree days already. The pics are posted from the most sun to the least, fyi.

1 - Amethyst Mist
2 - bigger Obsidian
3 - smaller Obsidian
4 - Amethyst Mist (this one is not quite in the sun yet today, a little shady in the pic, but I think you can still see the coloring) It actually reminds me of a Stainless Steel with rose tones right now.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2013 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by funnthsun Thumbnail by funnthsun Thumbnail by funnthsun Thumbnail by funnthsun

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.