I live in an apartment or have a lawn service
(4 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(19 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I voted other. I weed eat right around the house and let the goat and the pony enjoy the rest.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

No push mower here. Only a rider. We have just under an acre and live on a hill.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Other. mower died and hasnt been replaced. Using weed eater.

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

I mowed my lawn for the first time ever last Thursday! I was "gifted" with a mower and got a mowing tutorial.

It was sooooooooooooooo easy. Wonder how I missed this activity all my life!

Now. If I could just get the weed eater I bought from a mower repair shop to work, the yard would look more fabulous than my regular lawn guys' botch job!

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

When I moved back into my home after retirement, I said to myself, "There is nothing I hate worse than mowing the lawn on a hot Texas day. Then it seemed like nonsense to me to water that and feed it so I would have to mow it again. That's when I read an article on de-lawning and I started the next day. Go to my post in Garden Showcase, the album called "No money just enthusiasm", Find the photo that google took of my house as I had just begun the process of converting to beds and hardscape. Best decision I ever made. I love to tend to a garden. I hate to mow a lawn and lawns require so much water which will become more and more expensive. Now my water goes to a veggie garden and some native flowering plants that dont gulp down the water but only sip when absolutely necessary. Granted my lawn is small and if I had 4 acres, I'd probably have a goat or two but no lawn!!!

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

We have a "baby" Kubota tractor - it's great. We dig holes, pull trees out of the woods, plow the driveway, etc. I was against it at first but now I know we can't live without it.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I killed the lawn years ago... no room for lawn at my place.

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Gas mower here. I have a small property with lawn covering about half the landscape. I waffle back and forth about getting rid of some of it, but my husband likes the lawn, so it stays!
Barb

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

More and more, the lawn is giving way to raised beds.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a Craftsman Lawn tractor, my arthritic back can't take push mowers any more.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm slowly replacing lawn with more trees and large shrubs, sheet mulched beds and various things. We have it mowed since it really needs a riding mower to take care of the back due to its size. The established "lawn" was already here when we bought the house. It's a mixture of grasses, weedy plants and things that when mowed down somewhat resembles a lawn. :/

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I just had to remind the maintenance company that there's a blip of lawn in the front of the house and it is over a foot high. I'd do it myself but they don't allow gas mowers and I'm not into push mowers.

Grand Junction, CO(Zone 6a)

I use a gas powered push or self propelled mower on my 650 sq. feet of lawn. Would use a reel but can't push it due to my arthritis...rest is xeric with rock mulch.

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

i guess because it's been at least a decade since i had real green beautiful grass beneath my feet, i long for it. i miss it. i love it.
it may be an horrific waste of money to try to get and keep grass growing (even just 500 SF), but i really do want to see a lush green SOMEwhere in this sand pit i live it now.
we have 5-1/2 acres of land; only 2 acres is cleared now. i get to where i'm happy to see green weeds. how sad is that?
so yes, i get on my lawn tractor and mow the weeds. love my Cub Cadet!

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted old fashioned reel mower, because that is the one that I use in the backyard. DH uses a gas powered push mower in the front.

Newburgh, IN(Zone 6a)

Voted other because we use so many different tools to tend our yard. Rider for the large areas, push gas mower for the bank and weed whacker for the edges. I would like to have some goats to mow for us, however they would eat my flowers too.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I live in the woods. No grass just leaves and wild plants that grow in the shade. In my narrow sunny area along my drive I keep large flowerpots with tomatoes,cukes, petunias,marigolds, coleus,daylillys,and a few herbs.
Vickie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Riding mower (Husqvarna lawn tractor) or lawn service

I live in the city (small city) and thus have a very small yard. For years I used a push mower, and enjoyed the exercise. Then after an accident left me in considerable pain I 1st tried a reel mower (worse), then bought the lawn tractor (much better but didn't solve edging problem) and finally ended up hiring a gardener or landscaper to keep my lawn properly manicured for the past 4yrs or so. This year I'm trying to do it myself again using the riding mower. Yes, it is overkill for my small yard.

Wichita, KS(Zone 6b)

Nephew and Son do the mowing.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Mower died here too Kittriana ~ must be a Texas thang, so I voted reel type mower but the second part of that is I'm eliminating the lawn. lol

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

John Deere riding mower and weed trimmers; we have almost five acres of lawn/wooded areas so a rider is a must for us. Hubby mows & I trim around lawn, flowerbeds, gardens.

Fallston, MD(Zone 6b)

I have a DH who does it for me!

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I voted riding mower, but really could have gone other. Brush hog behind tractor for the fields, riding mower for the lawn, power mower for the herb garden and tighter spots, and a reel mower for when I want to be quiet (presently needs sharpening, but when it's sharp it slices through so easily my two grown sons fight over who gets to run it...) Weed whacker for the under fence and against building edging, square spade for the lawn to garden edging. I love the look and feel of a lawn and don't at all mind the maintenance (way less time consuming than any of my flower beds). I don't poison but do fertilize now and again.

Hornell, NY(Zone 5a)

I got so fed up with busted mowers, blades, drive belts, bad gas, and everything else that I finally just hired a lawn guy to mow my small patch. We get along real well, and for half the price I was paying to do it myself. Now I've got more time to garden.

Al

Carson City, NV(Zone 6b)

We've dug up about 3/4 of the lawn this house came with. We still have a small patch by the front door and use a nice Fiskars reel mower on it. I love how quiet it is and the Fiskars does a much better job than the previous reel mower. I still have some ugly 'decorative' curbing around the flower beds so I'm planning to pull it out and replace it with a flat strip that I can run over with the mower and not have to weed whack the whole thing.

Russell, KY(Zone 6b)

I think that a lovely lawn sets off the beds like nothing else can- I can't think of much that looks better than a freshly mown lawn and perfectly edged beds. When I win lotto I am going to have my lawns mowed daily just so I can sit outside and feel smug about how wonderful everything always looks :)

When my mother moved into a home near mine she bought my husband a super new John Deere lawn tractor so she wouldn't feel guilty about having him mow her lawn. Yay mom!
Our mowing, that used to take him almost three hours (it's a huge yard), can now be done in next to no time and with ten percent of the effort. In fact the weed eating takes him longer than the mowing does, but then his wife is a perfectionist who has lots of rock edged beds :)

Greensboro, AL

Other. There has been an epidemic of lawnmower theft here -- including my brand new Earthwise electric lawn mower. Can't mow the lawn until I get a new mower -- and it stops raining.

-South Central-, IL(Zone 6a)

Someone does it for me, thank the Lord. Riding mower, self-propelled mower, push mower, weed eater. Lotsa yard to mow, and it's beautiful when it's all done. I am blessed.

Talihina, OK

That mower dying thing must be an epidemic by now my neighbor has 3 mowers and only one works I have an eight year old pouland (honda power) and it still runs but take some measure of mechanical skill to keep it going and a handy supply of parts from pouland (texas) so it is quick and easy to get the parts ..It has mowed tons of sweet Gum balls and just keeps on ..

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

We have a gas riding mower that DH loves to ride around and around and around...which is good since we have an acre and a half to keep mowed. We're slowly adding beds and trees , and we have a large natural pond that takes up a lot of lawn when it rains a lot, like this spring. By late summer, it will probably be dry or nearly dry, so he'll be mowing the banks of it again. We have a deal: I tend the beds, he tends the lawn.

Lake Helen, FL

A great deal of my yard surface has gone to Weddell daisy, river sage, and, in early spring, fumitory, cleavers, and meadow blues (Tradescantia virginiana), which grow in back where I have a tiny grove

Thumbnail by Reynardine
Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Other, our mower died Sunday and we hired a friends son to do it for us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.