CLOSED: I want to find seeds fo Spotted Jewel Weed, Touch-Me-Not

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Spotted Jewel Weed, Touch-Me-Not Impatiens capensis I had a severe reaction to poison ivy last fall and my dr says each time it will get worse. My neighbor grows this in a junk pile and it finds its way into my yard as it grows all over his fence 6ft from my home. He will allow me to buy stuff and me spray it to kill it but I can't get to all of it for all the branches and junk he has in his yard.
I have read soap made with (Spotted Jewel Weed, Touch-Me-Not Impatiens capensis) will stop poison ivy if washed with right after contact. I am desperate enough to try anything. I had a steroid shot but not soon enough after the itching began. I was miserable for 3 weeks and have scars to prove it :(

Thanks for looking :)
Sandy

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

You should try a product called Zanfel. This stuff is like magic. You wash with it after exposure and within minutes the symptoms are gone! I don't leave home without it.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

I got your Dmail, Sandy, and I'm hoping to send you some jewel weed when it dries out a bit back there and I can dig. I've never tried transplanting the plants so I don't know how well that will work, but I'm game to try. Will have seed in the Fall.

I'm glad to know about the Zanfel, Mike, as I really react to poison ivy and poison oak.

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

The military is gonna start issueing this stuff to the Marines who go to a jungle environment. I don't break out too bad but I will tell you that this stuff neutralizes the adverse reaction a person will have within minutes. The bottle says 30 seconds but I think minutes is a more accuarte statement. You may have to go online to find the stuff but I think it is definetly worth the effort to do so.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Does it have to be used immediately or will it work if you use it several hours after you've had contact?

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Both!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Mike will it work after you break out and the itching is unbearable? Mike Thank you so very much!!! I know I am buying some of it. Thanks Cville_Gardner I will look forward to getting seeds and/or plants can't hurt to have both :)

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

I have seen some fellow Marines who had a good break out up and down their legs and one with a nasty case of it on his neck and this stuff took care of it. It is like a hand wash or soap if you will. You just lather it up and voila, instant relief. I hope it works out for ya!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Mike you are a life saver. I tried everything and would take a shower and just scrub it till it bled with the towel. It is a love hate thing as scratching feels so good and hurts so bad at the same time. 3 weeks of hell was horrendous...Thanks so very much!!!!

This message was edited May 7, 2013 9:35 AM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Mike thank you so much for serving me and our country :)

Holly Ridge, NC(Zone 8a)

Glad I could help!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

:) I just ordered 2 tubes off of Ebay...I WILL be prepared :)

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I used my head after my past break outs with poison ivy and transplanted Jewel Weed to my garden. I now have about 50 small plants growing up in my back yard. I usually just rub the leaves on me when I get in contact with poison ivy. I'll have to learn how to make it into soap.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Marti It is nice to know you rub it on and it actually works. :) I can't remember where I read to make it into soap I google everything and eventually find it. :) Thanks

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

I read Native Americans used jewel weed for poison ivy....personally ,I still dont get it...and I am 54...everyone keeps saying I can suddenly become allergic .....still no problem

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

crestedchik I am very happy you don't get it. You can become allergic to things My brother worked in the hay fields all the time and when he hit 15 was very allergic to hay.

I wouldn't worry about it too much but I wouldn't deliberately mess with it without some protection on.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I have quite a lot of Jewelweed and I let it grow for protection against poison ivy. I can get seeds later in the summer.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Just an FYI, you can buy Zanfel through amazon for 23.99 and if you buy two, free shipping. It is marked down from forty. It is like getting the second one for even less. It is 39.99 at Walgreens.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Zanfel is really cheap on ebay. I bought 2 1oz tubes for 24.99 and just 1 tube at walmart is 35 dollard. Buttoneer I would love some seeds. Please send me a dmail when you want

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.