Albino pollen sacs!

West Babylon, NY(Zone 7a)

I recently purchased this african violet and now its blooming. One flower has 2 white pollen sacs, another has one yellow one white, and the rest of the flowers are all normal yellow. Is this what you'd call albino pollen sacs? How rare is this?

I want to get seeds and try and grow more flowers with white pollen sacs instead of yellow. Should I take the pollen and fertilize the flowers from this plant that produced the white, or another flower on a different plant? what has best odds?

Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012 Thumbnail by keithp2012

Please I need to know if this is a mutation or not

(Lynn) Omaha, NE(Zone 5a)

I think what you are looking at is the ovary.

Quote from lbrabec :
I think what you are looking at is the ovary.

They have filaments, definetly pollen sacs! That's why I'm thinking this is a rare mutation since they are white!

Then I would suggest posting your picture on Gesneriphiles.Someone there could tell you.

I asked a hybidizer friend about this and he said "Honestly I've never heard of albino pollen sacs and I wonder if they're fertile or sterile? If I'm understanding and they are fertile I'd go both ways with it, often when I make a cross I'll also make the reverse cross. I know some other hybridizers do the same thing.

Hope this helps.

It does, thank you. If anything develops ill update the thread.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.