Paperbark maple still hasn't leafed out...May 4th

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I did scratch the bark of a branch and it is green. It's also the first year I've had it - a gift from a friend.

Am I too anxious or is there something I should be doing to get it on course?

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Personally - I think you may just be a bit of a "first time" parent on this one.

You are a zone warmer than me, but I don't recall that you've had a particularly warm spring this year? Being a new transplant may contribute to tardiness, too, especially if it was B&B and had some root stresses.

Your second picture wasn't clear with what was being shown - was that the "scratch"?

Give your Paperbark Maple a little longer, and see if it doesn't reward you with some lovely oppositely arranged trifoliate compound foliage...

Camano Island, WA(Zone 8a)

Our paperbark maple is very slow to leaf out in spring...so hang in there and don't give up yet. It stays green longer in summer and holds it "helipcopters" pretty much all winter, so it appears to be a month or so behind every stage throughout the year compared to our average tree here, including the other maples.

Thanks, VV! Yes, the second shot was supposed to show the green under the bark. We've had a cool spring and I guess I am like a first time parent. Thanks for your support. It was dug at my friend's house, a mile away, then brought here and was planted within the hour.

Thank you, momlady! I'm so happy to have all this encouragement. Generally the maples green-up here on 4/21 so I will be patient and I will report back.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

mine has not leafed out yet

Thanks, Bill. It seems they must leaf out along with Crape Myrtles - May 12 to 15th here.

Ellensburg, WA

We live in a zone 5. I have a 3 ft. Paperbark Maple in a pot and has tiny leaf buds just starting to show. Give yours a couple more weeks and by then you should spy some growth.

Thanks. I try not to inspect daily but sometimes I just have to take a look and my husband and I think we see the tips changing. We just may be delusional at this point!

Ellensburg, WA

That's funny. But, I must admit that I am guilty of the same. Daily inspection gets me up in the morning :) I've been known to carry a magnifying glass with me.

I'm so grateful you posted. Now I feel normal.

There is definitely a change in color but I'll wait for the first leaves to appear and then post a photo.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

My PaperBark Maple is the last tree to leaf out. Every year,I think it has died, and it did not. Gene

Gene - our next door neighbor (not a gardener at all) tries to tell me each May that our Crape Myrtle at our mutual border is dead and I tell him to wait until mid-May. He scoffs at me and then in mid-May I wait for him to arrive home, around 4:30, and show him the leaves. He shrugs it off. He can't ignore the fall beauty of it!

Thumbnail by pirl

That's a nice tree, pirl.

Root him a cutting, and then he can be a fretting parent while he waits for it to grow up.

You are funny!

I do love the Powhatan. We have two others but neither compares for fall color.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Give it some time. May 22 in zone 5a in 2009, a more normal year.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Here on Long Island 2009 was a very early and very warm spring. I keep notes on the weather for all years.

It seems it is making some progress.

As of May 6th...

Thumbnail by pirl

Today was the magical day and it has leafed out!

Thank you all (especially VV) for your help and your patience. Now I'll know when to expect it to happen in the future.

Thumbnail by pirl

You are welcome, as always. Glad that the new fellow is performing.

Me, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.