Moonflower, Hyacinth Bean, Coral Bean, Butterfly Pea

(Carole) Cleveland, TX(Zone 9a)

I fell in love with the moonflower after poking around here on DG. I had to try them (actually don't know why I never tried before). At first, I thought I'd failed completely. They seemed to take for-e-ver to come up (like weeks), then finally... one set of leaves emerged, then another... and today I'm fairly certain I saw a third. yea!! I probably started them too late, so I will know better for next year.

While I was waiting, I read where the seeds have a hard coat so they need to be soaked or otherwise crack the hard shell. I decided to put some seeds in a damp paper towel in a baggie. Put it in the window and voile! in less than a week, I had all six emerge with roots! put them in pots at the base of my new arbor. They're still puny, but hey....

Looking at pictures of gardens past, I missed my Hyacinth Bean Vines. I found a pack of my own seeds marked "duds" (you know, ill-formed, puny, sickly looking wannabe seeds). I got desperate (lol) and threw them in a pot with some water and a little prayer.

TODAY I noticed I have ONE little Lablab about 3" tall ~ whoohoo!!

I just had to share my fun news ;-)

Thumbnail by Cajun2

I'd been missing my Coral Bean vine too... seems I'd given ALL my seeds away ;-(
Like the Lablab, I found a small packet from like 2008 of my own vine. Who knew if these would grow at all? I HAD to try!!

Lookie what I found today!!

Thumbnail by Cajun2

and I didn't think I had any Butterfly Pea Vine coming this year, but here they are!! have at least 4 or 5 of them coming up so far.

Thumbnail by Cajun2
Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Did you take any photos of them when they (hopefully) bloomed for you?

(Caitlin) Fresno, CA(Zone 9b)

Pics! Pics! =) Can we see what these will look like once they are grown?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.