Tell me about this native plant in your garden

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Anyone grow this plant? Senecio aureus 'Golden Ragwort'?

A local lady has a whole border of this along the shady side of her house. Has been blooming now for about two weeks here in z 7b. Seems well enough behaved but it does self seed. She has offered me some for my mostly shadt oak tree canopied yard.

What can you tell me about it in your gardens?

Thumbnail by coleup Thumbnail by coleup
Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I have some. I just today pulled out a good bit of it, but just to keep it in bounds. I think of it as a pretty flowered weed.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Ditto here. I didn't plant it but it has appeared from somewhere. It's interesting though, and I know it's used in homeopathy.

Rockville, MD

I just used roundup on it because it was growing everywhere. It is very pretty if you can keep it contained. I am not sure that my blooms stood up on such long stems, but the leaves are the same.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Thanks everyone for your responses, I do like it, and because I have the same mostly shade growing conditions I think I will try it. I talked to the lady who offered it to me and she said all she does is trim off the flower stalks just before most of it goes to seed.

Igroban does yours just appear in mostly sunny areas, mostly wet? Any pattern here?

The spot I am thinking of for them faces east and begins on the edgeof an asphalted ditch edged with dayilies and up a sloght slope to Itea'Henry Garnet, backed by ostrich fern and bleeding hearts. and a red Japanese maple My thought is that the senecio aureus as it comes to the end of its bloom time will be hidden by the day lilies that are up about 8 inches now and blend well with the itea which is just leafing out and be a striking band of yellow across the intense green of ostrich fern now 3' tall.

Anyway, free source of plants or seeds has me hoping this will work!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

That sounds gorgeous. It looks lovely in the photos. I also have Ostrich Fern and love it. It's another one that can get out of hand here and try to take over the world. :) I hope this planting works out well for you. Keep us posted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.