In The Very Merry Month of May CHAT

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

May is a transition month in the gardens for many of us with early Spring bulbs either just blooming or just finished, Fruit trees budding, perennials awakening, seed-starting begun, and plans for annuals whether in containers, baskets or mixed in our veggie gardens. It's a time of hope and a time of seemingly never-ending weeding, garden clean-up, mulching, and whipping our lawn mowers and weed whackers back into tip-top shape. And what else? Share your day and what's going on in your gardens or life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noBLXQY4yuA

Our April chat was here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1305268/

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Oh my,,, I found you!!

May Day on May 1 is an ancient Northern Hemisphere spring festival and usually a public holiday;
It is also a traditional spring holiday in many cultures.

May Day is related to the Celtic festival of Beltane and the Germanic festival of Walpurgis Night. May Day falls exactly half a year from November 1, another cross-quarter day which is also associated with various northern European pagan and the year in the Northern hemisphere, and it has traditionally been an occasion for popular and often raucous celebrations.

As Europe became Christianized, the pagan holidays lost their religious character and either changed into popular secular celebrations, as with May Day, or were merged with or replaced by new Christian holidays as with Christmas, Easter, Pentecost and All Saint's Day. In the twentieth and continuing into the twenty-first century, many neopagans began reconstructing the old traditions and celebrating May Day as a pagan religious festival again.

Origins

The earliest May Day celebrations appeared in pre-Christian times, with the festival of Flora, the Roman goddess of flowers, and the Walpurgis Night celebrations of the Germanic countries. It is also associated with the Gaelic Beltane. Many pagan celebrations were abandoned or Christianized during the process of conversion in Europe. A more secular version of May Day continues to be observed in Europe and America. In this form, May Day may be best known for its tradition of dancing the maypole dance and crowning of the Queen of the May. Various Neopagan groups celebrate reconstructed (to varying degrees) versions of these customs on May 1st.

The day was a traditional summer holiday in many pre-Christian European pagan cultures. While February 1 was the first day of Spring, May 1 was the first day of summer; hence, the summer solstice on June 25 (now June 21) was Midsummer. In the Roman Catholic tradition, May is observed as Mary's month, and in these circles May Day is usually a celebration of the Blessed Virgin Mary. In this connection, in works of art, school skits, and so forth, Mary's head will often be adorned with flowers in a May crowning. Fading in popularity since the late 20th century is the giving of "May baskets," small baskets of sweets and/or flowers, usually left anonymously on neighbours' doorsteps.

This message was edited May 1, 2013 10:19 PM

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

From time to time, I have thought about doing May baskets. I think that would be a fun little thing to do especially for a gardener.

Thanks, Fruity, I have not grown Maypop from seeds before so it will be interesting, if nothing else.

Beautiful weather the past two days but more rain on the way. We don't need more rain right now since we got over 6" last weekend. But what can you do? Mother Nature has spoken.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
(susie) Hastings, MI(Zone 5a)

Kris have you heard of the " Rabbit"
https://www.rabbittv.com/?gclid=CLjbqbGd97YCFUUw4AoddmYAXQ

well i'm going to take my coffee & go walk the Gardens to see what has to be done so ya all have a great day , I will get my box ready to ship out In tomorrows mail .

Will show it to Mike,. Still have to have internet..so we need to think about it.

Thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Yesterday I was like, "oh no you didn't!:?"

Where the !$%^& did April go?!

sigh.

I hafta tell you, I am so relieved today to be finished with my dammmmd finance course it feels like Saturday. So I am doing next to nothing. Besides being a little too chilly be romping around, I still have a couple of assignments to upload and then a final next week, but I'm not worried about that one at all.

My finance instructor agreed with my assessment that being my last semester and not wanting to have a stroke to take the "optional final" exam which is tomorrow. It is actually an opportunity to re-take one or both of your midterm exams. I took a deep breath and decided it was "okay" not to get an "A" in this class, and sent him an email saying so. He agreed and I had this crazy flush of brain chemicals like, endorphins on steroids. ha ha ha. I passed out after Court made me dinner (woot!) and up with my neck bent in half smushed into the love seat.

Anyway - I was pretty merry this morning and now pretty mellow. last class I needed to graduate so I'm going to be coasting on thru till the rest of that crazy paperwork gets done and they hand me my degree.

Thanks for putting up with my here today gone tomorrow activity on DG.

Will post the interest thread for the Mug Swap next week. What else is going on for the summer on DG? Besides pulling chickweed, I mean?

A.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Hey Amanda, sounds like you did really well in your classes! Congrats!

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks, LK. :)

I also meant to post, after reading Kris' recount of MayDay tradition, that I was "May Queen" in grade school one year. hahah a. I was SUCH a tomboy. Had four brothers, etc.

Anyway it was catholic school. Two different parish churches made up the bulk of our enrollment. So they were picking out of a hat I think. Me and my goofy friends were making fun of the girls we thought would be May Queen. DAMN if they didn't pull my name out of the hat. I think I shut up real quick that day. hmm.

It was just another event for my family and friends to MORTIFY me. GAH. O well.

So thanks Kris. Brought back a funny memory. Not so funny then, but OH the irony.

A.

So sorry MANDA, I happen to love May Day. Some of the few good childhood memories involve May Day and my grandparents.
I am so sore today. I hurt from the top of my fanny to my ankles, not a good feeling. Sitting on a chair at the laundry mat now and feels like someone kicked me hard. I have done to much the last few days,, darn it. And have lots more to do this week.

But right now I just need clean clothes to go out to dinner tonight. Then off to check out an ongoing stained glass class at the college. They are trying to get me to take classes, I think I would like to. There are always more things to learn.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

You know what Kris - a stained art class sounds fabulous! :)

I had to giggle when you said you hurt from your butt to your ankles. Too much stooping and bending, eh?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh so beautiful in the yard yesterday.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

My beautiful yard. It is snowing so hard you can not see past the trees in the field.....rofl.
I know several of you are on the other sites I am on so sorry about repeating but it is so darn funny to look out in all the green and see all the white. Boy since the trees have leaves it blocked alot of the snow which made it look even funnier.
A little town south of us was going to have their mushroom festival this week starting Thursday, Wednesday it was so warm the carnival opened ran for a day and then left....and the festival has been canceled....which was sad. Dh found about 30 mushrooms and I am going to guess that will be it....
Other post I made is the lawn mower sitting out where DH had been mowing and didn't get the mower up!

Thumbnail by happgarden
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh dear. :(

Cville_Gardener, your blooms are beautiful! What is the purple plant in the 2nd picture please?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, LK. That is Salvia 'May Night' ( or 'Mainacht').

Very pretty!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Do you have any salvias?

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I need more salvias.

I let the bidens alba eat the 'Blue Angel' Kim_M sent a couple of years ago. I don't think it will come back, though I keep waiting...

In the meantime, some Iris are blooming which I think Neener gave me at my first RU a couple of years ago. They didn't bloom last year, but OH! This one makes up for the long wait.

Thumbnail by AmandaEsq
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Very pretty, Amanda. Mine are gorgeous this year. They are probably gorgeous every year but just seem even more so this spring.

Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener Thumbnail by Cville_Gardener

I am hurting worse. Was up all night. Ralph thinks I might have pinched a nerve. All I know is know all I can do is lay down. Anyone have an idea as what to do??

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It could be a strained muscle. Is it low back or ?

It starts at the very bottom of my back, but my back doesn't hurt. Just my rear end and the back of my legs, litterly cannot sit down now. Cannot lay flat on my back either.

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

This looks like some good information:
http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/guide/low-back-strain

I am at the hospital. The pain has trippled. So waiting for xray now...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I think you've just probably sprung your hamstrings from bending over too much. Need to stretch before and after or they will tighten up on you like an Olympic runner.

I sure hope you're fine. xox

A.

p.s. it's always worse a day or two later ..

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Oh Elfie good luck....fingers crossed for you...

Sounds like a pinched sciatica Kris, place some ice on it! Let us know what the Dr. say's please? Praying it is nothing serious!

Cville_Gardener, I don't have any salvia like that, I have one small bunch of a light purple I dug from the side of the road a few years ago, that is so pretty!

I am home. Two shotts, lots of pills, and bed rest. It is my siatica nerve. I will be fine in a few days!!! Feel better already. Even made me a salad and a healthy choice meal. Now going to lay down with the puppy and doze for a while.

Talk to you all later.

Iris blooming in my new garden bed. First time blooming for me. Very excited.

Thumbnail by
Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Oweeee, sorry Kris. Someone on a different thread (maybe LK?) suggested that you hire it out! :/

Gorgeous IRIS. Love love love.

Get some rest.
xox

A.

Beautiful bloom Kris, looks almost black? Please don't over do it cause your feeling better!

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Glad to hear you got that checked out, Kris. Lovely dark purple-black Iris. One of my favorite colors. So pretty! :)

afternoon all will share a few Blooms Of the day Here forgive any weeds you may see

Kris Lay back get well if you have any Extra Pain Killers send them to me ^_^ I Feel your Pain :)

Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9 Thumbnail by deejay9

Susie, what are those beautiful blooms please?

first 3 are Lenton roses , # 4 is a Jack-in-the-pulpit ??? #5 is Orange Tulips

4th is a trillium. I have hundreds growing in the woods here.

Susie, I should have sent you some of my ferns for your woods. They are not botheted by the cold, and would look great with the hostas!!

Would love to send you all my pain pills. And be out of pain.

Thumbnail by

They are beautiful!

Love those ferns too Kris.

Linda, wish they would survive at your house. I would send a huge box if they would. I might dig one and take it to Crystal to let her identify them for me. Will let you know.

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

oh Elfie, I am so glad u got checked up and fixed up. Love your blooms aLL OF YOU..

I feel pretty good right now, of course, I am fully loaded up on drugs,, MethyPREDNISolone 4mg,
Trama-dol 50mg,, CYCLOBENZAPR 10mg,

No pain here,,,but did get in trouble with Ralph cause I washed dishes, and cleaned up the kitchen area, then cooked dinner. He is really not happy with me.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.