May 2013- Supposed to be WARM not COLD!!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

What is up with Mother Nature this year?? Snow??? In May??? That's not right!! I'm wearing a tank and capris right now and tomorrow it's sevearl layers again. Sheesh!! lol

Here are some of my plants waiting to be moved. The lavendar has been put in a bigger pot and the yarrow has been put in the ground. I used the dirt in some of the pots of rotted hollyhocks to use in the lavendar pot or to repot my sunflower and hydranga in them.

Thumbnail by pepper23 Thumbnail by pepper23
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well pepper we aren't the same this time , It got 86 with sun here today , still towards that now , With the sun here you could sweat it all out ,,!!!
Plants are looking sharp All bright waiting for their new home ,, They all might give you a great big sigh ,, as it is always nice to be home ...lol

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

it went from almost 80 to 50 in about three hours, had to go spread grass cuttings from the compost pile and throw over my one and only row of tomatoes I set out from winter sowing, all the tropicals are now in the dining rom waiting to go back out and the basement gardens are still full of plants under the t5 lights.

oh pepper, your box is on the way.. two parsleys in there, nice clumps of the asters and a bag o greens LOL
will? Green? anyone else? holler up now..

Thanks Debra!! Look forwards to getting it!

All of my veggies are under the wheelbarrow for now. I'm not chancing losing them. I have Mortage Lifter and Beefsteak tomatoes, Bonnie Bell peppers and a lemon cucumber plant. My grandma doubled the size of her garden this year so I'm keeping mine small. I want to plant yellow squash but the bugs always kill it before it really gets going.

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Hi! Thanks pepper for making the new thread. Wow, they're saying a high of 39° tomorrow! Yeah, that's not your tank-top weather..lol That's quite a collection of stuff in waiting there, pepper. How'd you ever reuse that biggest red pot there, it's made out of a cerealbox or something! I remember a Hazelnut was in that earlier last month. You work fast, something else is already in it!

I haven't put any houseplants or any marginals out yet, I'm lucky there because I wouldn't feel like bringing all 40 back in or anything!

I have a photo of what appears to be some strongly-affected-by-light leaves (or babies' leaves) on a Hawaiian SpiderPlant. - Here it is bigger in my Comcast webspace. - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_9863.JPG When you get there click once on the picture and it will get even bigger. That SpiderPlant baby over on the right is really having some white in it!

My guess is within ten days to 2 weeks it will be 85° to 90°!

Thanks for the offer jw, I'll need to pass for now.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi everyone. Been working way too much at my job. Everyones pics are beautiful. I hear we are going to post pics of snow next!!!
Geeh

Love what you all are doing with your projects. Wish I had some more time to work on mine. I have so many to finish. I am not starting anything new until some of my old ones are done.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Hello and happy May. I've been pretty busy with hubby in hospital trying to work, visit him, & do all the chores by myself; including mowing the grass with the manual push mower. I'm pretty pooped out right now. I'll catch up later. Everything is growing in leaps & bounds here; especially the grass & weeds. I went fishing yesterday evening for an hour or so & got a good hit that knocked my pole over. Probably turtles. We saw plenty of them.

Oh Greenish u do have ur hands full.....I feel bad for whinning. Hope dh is doing good. Glad u got to go fishing. I like to fish some love the piece and quiet. My niece is a fishing nut think she would rather fish than eat.

green, praying for you and some strength when ya ned it. You are a superwoman.

Glad I got them in, but tired of doing it.. I think I am going to have a garage plant sale.
this is one of my "projects" from a few weeks ago.. I rescued a coleus that trails and transplanted some marigolds I wintersold together. I sprinkled some allysium. It is coming along.

Thumbnail by joeswife

I wish I lived in the country or on a farm, I was happier back then.. that is for sure, but then, I was only 11 or so..
the first plant was about three inches tall, I have no clue, it was a rescue... the second plant is some noid hoya, it is about as old as I am here on DG, which may be 4 years now? It was a small cutting from a Dg'r here in a swap. It's supposed to have really fragrant blooms, but I hav'nt seen any..
the third plant is a cutting I actually was successful with, another winter gardening project this year.. it is really a nice sized chalice vine now..
I give a plant 5 years to see a bloom, but most tropicals take longer than that.. ugh...I love the prennials more in the summer, tho..

Thumbnail by joeswife
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Made it out of bed & off to work. Love that I can come here & visit all my garden buddies. We were in the upper 80s yesterday & I was quite uncomfortable. Glad for the cooler temps today. I don't think that I'm ready yet for the summer heat waves; though that will be on us before you know it. I'm lovin' life & got my joy on. My strength comes from someone much greater than me. : )

Tomorrow I'm going on a field trip with my gr-d's 2nd grade class to Cahokia Mounds. I promised not to embarrass her, so I have to be good. lol Everyone have a blessed day!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

46°/49°/35°
Rest Of Today...Brisk. Much cooler. Cloudy with isolated rain showers. High in the upper 40s. North wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of showers 20 percent.
Tonight...Blustery. Rain showers likely in the evening...Then light rain...Snow and sleet after midnight. No snow and sleet accumulation. Low in the mid 30s. North wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.

Will,
Laughing! I brought the cabbage sprouts and newly sowed cantaloupe in this morning. I was going to weather them in the garage, setting them out during the day. Too cold :o(
The comcast picture was small, but this one shows the bend. That will soon be covered with new sprouts and end up having a graceful sway. I like it!

Ju,
That's pretty neat! I don't have the ability to evolve like that :o(

Thanks for the new thread Pepper!
Your plants look healthy! I moved a couple yesterday myself. I had to get them out of the actual garden :o)
I was in shorts and a tanktop :o) I've been very good and greased myself in tanning lotion.

Debra,
That was our drop in temps yesterday. I couldn't believe the wind. I didn't know it was to be windy.

Pepper,
''Under the wheelbarrow'' made me laugh!
I'm doing "Box Car Willie," "Better Boy," "Big Beef" and cherry tomatoes. "Orange Bell" pepper, "Heritige" and "Jalapenos."

Will,
Yes, that comcast photo popped! It's a nice plant. Why is it Hawaiian?

Happ,
:o( at working hard. I hope you get some time for yourself.

Green,
That is a tough spot to be in. Prayers for DH to get home soon. Fishing! Sounds like a good way to unwind!

Happ,
You aren't whining. Everyone has stress and it's good to talk about it. I feel bad for having free time.

Debra,
The pot is going to look really nice! I love the idea of trailing coleous!
Hoyas take a LONG time to bloom, but I've heard it's worth it.

Green,
I hear ya, LOL! If it was this hot yesterday, how will we survive July and August?
Oh, you will have so much fun on the field trip!

Today is my "me" day!
Our weather started to change last night with that roaring wind. Luckily, I did plant 46 hills of potatoes and 4 short rows of green beans. I sowed cantaloupe for myself and Dad. DH mowed the entire yard and I let him, LOL! Usually it's my domain.

We got groceries this morning and it rained. We got home and not a drop fell here. I see no rain for the rest of the afternoon :o(

I did pull rhubarb yesterday and have a crust thawing on the counter for pie later :o)

Have a wonderful day no matter what your weather is!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Will, are you going to apply at the Ford plant?

Off to the hospital. Trying to beat the rain storms.

Why is it Hawaiian you ask? Just because, toots! I'm only kidding you know! : ) I'm not sure myself, I believe it's a classification of a Spiderplant that has white stripes and the babies get a lot of white, that's what I was told. If anybody knows more definition, please help me.

Oops, sorry pepper, I see those are the Hazelnuts in those 2 pots, it looks like that other smaller, crooked one is right behind the big red pot. They are hardy though, you can leave them outside, they've been outside at my house all Winter.

Hehe.. that Lilac was already planted 90° a long time ago. Here is that old container. - I save containers and seed packets so I can identify stuff later.

Hehe.. that Comcast pic of the Lilac is small but the pic of the Lilac box itself should be at least twice as big than the pic where it's sitting on the porch, you can't see the stem in that pic.

I have lots of striped Wondering Jews to make cuttings out of and regular purple Wondering Jew, here are some pics of them. -
They said due to the F-150 being such a big seller I think they're really expanding. I hate to be cynical on that, but I bet current employee's are going to flood them with applications of people they know, I bet nepotism is going to run some rampant, plus there is probably laid off workers that they will likely hire first. I'm so optimistic, no wonder I'm unemployed! I'll go look and see if I can find an online application for them. One news article said half of the hires will be laid off workers.

This was from something I just read from a local reputable news organization -
"Ford said it has a pool of about 4,800 people who will be considered for the jobs. The company is not taking more applications at this time. A spokesman for Ford said the company may reopen the application process later if needed." I kinda doubt they'll reopen it later, nobody would turn down a Ford job!

Rural, me too, Debra.

Isn't this snowy photo crazy?! - http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_9896.JPG There is a pic of snow, happ! : )

This message was edited May 2, 2013 8:06 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf Thumbnail by shortleaf
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Yep, I'm dreaming of a white Cinco de Mayo? Just like the ones I've never known. Where the ..... somebody finish it. LOL

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

white Cinco de Mayo? Just like the ones I've never known.
where the snow had gone to places unknown
on vacation has blown
as it though all of us it had never even known

Oh I'M dreaming of a white day a snow-in
Where it stays a day with out go-in
and we might have it the way we had
in our memories, many years ago
Back to you all , I am silly ..lol

This message was edited May 2, 2013 10:27 PM

If it snows Sunday on Cinco De Mayo I'll put on that sombrero up there and go outside! lol

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Bravo ju!

Eating hot peppers will certainly keep you warm. : )

great reads here, temps are dropping fast, BRRRrrrrr down we go, I walked around in the freezing wind and tried to cover with grass clippings and newspapers, but I am sure the wind will blow it away, it is so strong .. only to visit my prennials blooming outside and my oleander wrapped in a sheet, left outside.. we will see what a few hours of freeze will do, but I coulda swore it just froze a couple weeks ago..

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

What is giving you all freezes . When it gets here is only going to cool us down into the mid 60's . 71 Now it is and 80's the past three days... weird the national weather is ..really weird .....
Still with lots going on but to go slow today , still a few plants potted and planted , The Coronation gold yarrow has returned and the Old Fashioned Hollyhocks (that have not bloomed for three years) are looking better than they ever have.
Some of these plants I was beginning to wonder about as to if they would return at all ..
Everywhere I look I see Catnip , Jerusalem Artichokes , and Spearmint . all of these can run a place , Love a good tough plant though ,always did , Especially in the years they were the only thing that stayed green at all .

I also love it when it is colder longer, the prennials like it I think, . I keep looking for my native ginger. It is here somewhere out there, and I have not seen a jerusleum artichoke, I must look into that. Surprised the roses are so bushy, they have gotten spindly the past two years, and I look forward to them. Pear tree has already bloomed, so we will have pears anyway. It is a tuff old tree. My mooonshine yarrow and the native white and the red all up, the allysium is budded, and I bet I threw around a million native seeds of milkweeds and asters and sunflowers and stuff from my country travels. My dark red sages are up, the shrubs are leafing. The dames rocket is about to pop open.. I am happy. This freze will only make the native seeds pop when they get warm. And that is what the need. a good wake up.I used to get mad when it rained too much the basement leaks, now I am happy knowing we got substantial rain.. it takes a few inches of continual rains outside to bring water inside, and my tropicals love it. I let them drink it up from the bottom.

Can't see in the distance because of the snow...rofl.
Mowing grass in the snow?

I think everything in my yard is up except for maybe the hardy hibiscus, so I am concerned about the roses and a few things. I have learned the hostas will make it.

I have had enough tho, I want to work outside, I need to work outside!

Ju great finish to the poem....rofl. You are talented. My Dad use to write poems. I still have a couple of them I salvaged and one is typed on like a tissue type paper and the other hand written. He wrote one about visiting me at girl scout camp and I am so sad it got lost. When I realized it as a kid I cried for days. But I still have a few so that is a good thing.

Thumbnail by happgarden
Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My husband had a good day yesterday. He's not only out of bed all day walking about, but he ate roast beef and meatloaf! His "plumbing" seems to be working fine.

JW, you've got me wanting to visit you and your gardens. I'm going to need to see some pics this summer.

JU, the same with you. I'm visualizing all these plants when they're full and blooming. I'll be staying tuned to see those pics.

I believe that I've found the perfect spot for my hollyhocks. I've got a lot of gardening to do once the weather settles down.

Do we need a DG poetry corner or do we already have one? My cousin who lives near OK City, OK is a retired minister & writes some awesome poetry. I ride the MetroLink to work when I'm not taking the bus & local high school & jr. college poetry is displayed for the commuters. It's called "poetry in motion". Some of these poems are extremely well written. One day, I was so engrossed reading a poem that I almost missed my stop. Some of them, I've wanted to copy down. I need to find out if they're published somewhere.

HG, that's really cool about your dad. My nephew made up a song for each of his kids. Now that he's passed (taken too soon!), his kids have their own special song to remember him by.

Where's my buddy, Will? Busy with your gardening chores?

Off now to my gr-d's house to join her on a field trip with the other 2nd graders. It's raining, but that's better than snow, right? Happy Friday all my gardening buddies.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

36°/41°/ 41°
Today...Blustery...Rain. High in the lower 40s. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph with gusts to around 30 mph. Chance of rain near 100 percent.
Tonight...Rain. Low in the lower 40s. East wind 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 25 mph in the evening. Chance of rain near 100 percent.

Will,
:o)
That's cool! I didn't know the spider babies could be whiter. I've never heard of it before.

We had a kid and his brother that worked the Ford KC branch. They were laid off while they made changes. I don't think they'll go back down. GO GET HIS JOB!!
Keep putting an application in. Someone young will quit.
The plants and cutting look good! Is that your sombrero hanging there? :o)

Green,
ROTFL! They actually closed school in northern Iowa because the gravel roads were a little icy.

Ju,
Grin :o)
I see most of my plants up and doing well. I sure hope they sleep till the warm weather returns. Right now the tulips are folded up tight.

Debra,
That is so sad, LOL! I hope your plants don't freeze.
What kind of pear do you have? Is it one of the ancient trees with the gritty flesh, or are you lucky enough to have a Bartlett?
I got all my Sweet Rocket/Dames Rocket started across the road. It really goes crazy in my flower beds, but I so love it! it's an exellent bee plant.

Happ,
The hibiscus seems to take a long time to show. Every year my neighbor thinks she lost her's and then, there it is, LOL!
Yikes, that is snow!!

Green
That is great!! I'm glad he's OK!
I'll bet you can just go to ''The Parking Lot'' and start a ''Poetry Thread'' on your own.
Wow! What a great guy! I'm sorry for the loss to you, and all the family.
Have a great time with the kids!!

I get another me day because it's raining! It started about 6:20 last night and we now have 6/10'' in the guage. It should rain into tomorrow. I SO hope so!!

The rhubarb pie I made is almost gone already. I should have picked a few more stalks and doubled the recipe. I used a larger pie pan and the pie was a little thin. Now I have 3 egg whites to do something with. I better make a white cake.

Have a productive day! I wish I had had time to get at least one more bed weeded, but I'll get them eventually.

billy, ford claycomo announced a big employment going on I forgot how many jobs, trucks will be runny 7 days I think and there is also some new vans I think they will start making there. I know they have a dual pay scale now but still one of the better jobs in KC. Hard job but pays good. My nephew went to work for the Chevy factory here in the city. He is one grateful kid (still a kid ..rofl to me) for a good paying job with benefits. They have one dedicated employee for life.

Greeny, so glad to hear hubby is doing good. Will he be home soon? I know your nephews kids will cherish those forever and pass them to their kids and hopefully make copies so they are never lost. My Dad was 54 so pretty young. Seems like a million years ago.....I can remember all the good now without the sadness. Time heals.

Just looked at the forecast..good grief. No good weather til next week.

Have a great day.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ,
Yes, they closed the plant to add another line. So it's vans. It is still a better job than many others. I'm sure they don't pay like they used to, but it's still good money. Any benefits and insurance are gold!

That is young. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Awww.. green, I'm your gardening buddy? And you are mine. Busy with gardening chores? Not at the present, maybe in a couple days. Sorry about not finishing your poem, green, but it'd be too easy to sound racial or something, I'm no bigot.

Yes, that is young, my Dad was 60 when he died, I'm sorry for your loss happ, and greeny's too. Yeah, with time you feel better, back then I was pretty upset, but one has to move on, there is photos and memories.

Sure billyp, I'd get his job if I could! But, I don't believe you can apply. At this point, I'd take my wife's job! I'm just kidding, I'm not married and even if I was, if I really did that I wouldn't be married long..lol

The cold weather is coming to IN., ju!

Hehe.. a few hours of freezes! I don't wish bad things on people when they had stuff out last nite but all my stuff was still inside. Actually, if it got to freezing, it wasn't by much, for a short time,
just covering them up shoulda been enuff anyway.

Yes, that's the Sombrero! I wear it outside, I don't really care if I look like an imbecile! It makes a great sunhat.

I'm glad to hear you husband is doing well, greeny. I remember, my poor stepmom was in a bad way when my Dad passed, she cried for months, she still does on occasions like their anniversary or Christmas, for years I called her on those days.

Wow, a field trip to Cahokia Mounds. I don't remember ever going on a field trip except lame ones to the field on the other side of the playground to see Butterflies or something.

How are the Nanking cherry seedlings coming along, green? I'll trade you some Wondering Jew (of both kinds) cutting/starts for one.

This message was edited May 3, 2013 3:34 PM

I'm still here!! Internet went out last night so couldn't get on. We got 3-5 inches here at home and the next town east got 5 inches of snow overnight and today. It's all melting already though so not much left out there.

Hi pepper!! Ewww, internet being out would stink for sure. The snow didn't accumulate enuff here to measure. Some grassy areas around here are around half whitish but the roads and driveways are clear, most grassy areas are even clear. They must have some way to know on the news how much snow we got because you couldn't measure it physically around here.
I bet out by you, pepper, is the same way, your not far away. Yeah, it's nearly all melted here too, it should all be melted soon.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes it is from 80's all the way down to the mid 60's with rain with 50's at night .. Doesn't that sound just awful .. Gee I wish I had your snow , sleety ,icy , stuff and all the cold , lol , Really I feel for you all with all that in may where you all are ,,
Hot and humid here ,, GOOFY ,,,WEATHER !!!!!!
Well the Bright side is ..You all got rain ,, sort of ...

Haha! Well, ju, don't you worry none, I do believe it's coming to Indiana! We didn't get any ice like sleet, mostly just rain and cold here. Yeah, we're not in a drought right now, that's for sure.
That's not fair! I don't know why it's so nice there! lol Well, it looks like you escaped it! - http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Anderson+IN+46011:4:US

This message was edited May 3, 2013 4:16 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Kind of like ,;when your 3rd 4th or 5th cousin of some relativity , is your Boss at work .. Family pot Luck? Maybe? What ever was fair? A few moments of natural green space is about It ?
Only then the weather comes and gets you also ...
Still potting plants , watching others arrive, planted the remainder of the green beans , still odds and ends of lots to do ...

You've been busy, ju! I was watering my houseplants and while I was down there I put a few Spiderplant babies in water. - These Comcast pics are bigger.
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_9901.JPG
http://home.comcast.net/~metalglove/pwpimages/100_9898.JPG
Will

We had alot of sleet here before we got the snow. We still have snow on the ground but not much. Now it's just drizzling and has been for several hours. Still very cold and it just cuts right thru you.

I just found out a little while ago that the weather channel was in Odessa at my old job all day today. Odessa got more snow that anyone else supposedly so they were reporting on it all day. She said they were there when she got there at 6:30am and still there when she left close to 6pm.

wow.. that is pretty good, 5 inches of snow. Good for the things that need the cold to snap out of it.

My stuff is back in. I recieved some cholla cuttings and 4 18 count fresh farm eggs and 4 turkey eggs for a trade of my stuff here in wichita. Oh and some kind of grass that has pretty blooms?

I can barely type so I am sorry I don't adress all of the people here , but I assure you I read just fine. It is fun to read all about your experiences..

I am off tommorrow so kacited, ready to move the jungle outside and get with the program. BTW, I love rhubarb pie.. *hint* *hint*

Got my currant bushes and thornless blackberry shrubs babies to plant too..
strange, as I read about you missing your loved ones, I thought about my grandma and aunt effie.. thier peonys were always their pride and joy just in time for memorial day every year.. I have planted some seeds we will see..

Oh, Debra I got the box today!! Thanks!!

oh good ust in time for weekend. :)

Supposed to be cold and wet still so they wont make it in ground til next week. But I'm gonna find a tub or something to put them in til the garden is ready. I'll have money sent to you next week. :~)

no money! what?? egads, plz just don't do it. Sorry the stuff is a mess, hope you can sort it out?

I'll sort it out and post pics. Some I will kno and others I won't be sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.