Black Walnut shavings and lumber

Spring City, TN

I've been offered black walnut planer shavings to mulch my vegetable beds AND some scrap black walnut lumber to build raised flower beds.

I know that planting under black walnut trees is a problem. But what specifically is the problem? The leaves? Something in the soil because of the walnuts themselves? All I can find on the net is don't plant under the trees... not WHY?

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

This might help: http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/fruits/blkwalnt.htm

Spring City, TN

THANKS, just what I was looking for...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

You're welcome. We have Black Walnut trees all around here. Many times the squirrels "hide" them in my planters and I have to dig out many newly sprouted little trees every year. But the nuts are good. :)

Warrenton, VA

Do NOT, and I repeat, do NOT, get anything from a Black Walnut tree near horses. They cannot even walk on shavings - it poisons them quickly (goes right through the hooves).

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Oak also poison to horses tho slower

Cherry Grove, OH(Zone 6b)

Black walnut is negatively alleopathic with some plants. Nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc) and Brassicas are said to be particularly susceptible to the chemical (5 hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone) released by the walnut. Other plants are more tolerant of the chemical, but in my experience most have some negative effects from black walnut.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.