Cheap Fix for Fungus on Skin

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

No kidding. After going through 2 prescription meds, neither of which worked, I stumbled upon this ultra cheap & easy fix made from 2 ingredients virtually everyone has on hand: rubbing alcohol and vinegar, a 50:50 mix.

The details:

I wish I had thought to take a before pic. I had a fungus on my skin in an area obscured by clothing. It started out as an annoying itch which I promptly ignored. By the time I decided to address it, the fungus covered about a 3in square, the skin was reddish purple, it looked horrible and itched constantly. The 1st prescription med I used was a powder. I applied it every 4hrs w/o fail. I even got up in the middle of the night to apply it. Two bottles of the stuff later, the fungus appeared untouched. The 2nd prescription was a cream. Same result.

The next thing my Dr prescribed was a pill, something 'heavy duty' that would reek havoc with my entire system. Not wanting to endure the side-effects of that pill, I decided to try something else 1st. Truth be told, I didn't really think my home cure could possibly work after 2 prescrips had failed. I don't even know what possessed me to try it - probably just my fear of taking those pills. The effected area looked sort of ulcerated by that time, and I worried that I might be dealing with some kind of deadly, skin eating pathogen - the kind of thing I shouldn't risk to home cures, but I did it anyhow...

I mixed equal portions of alcohol and vinegar in a small, clean bottle. (I knew that divers often use this mix in their ears after a dive as a preventative measure.) Twice a day I shook the bottle and applied the mix to the effected area using cotton squares from the drugstore (the kind for removing makeup, etc). A few times I even taped the saturated cotton square over the effected skin for an hour or so, and while that didn't cause me any problems, I wouldn't recommend this step for anyone with sensitive skin. Imagine my amazement when the fungus began to diminish in both size and color the 1st week of treatment. After a few more weeks of treatment (about a month overall), the fungus which had been such a headache for so long was totally GONE.

It STILL blows my mind to think that 2 common and inexpensive OTC products were so effective when costly prescription drugs had failed. Just wanted to pass this tip along to anyone else who may be dealing with a skin fungus. Note that I do not have sensitive skin. I've long thought of my skin as fairly 'tough'. Also, I used this mixture topically and on 'regular', exposed skin (like an arm, leg, or back) - NOT mucus membrane or super sensitive areas. It didn't burn or hurt or otherwise cause me any problems. In fact, applying this mixture usually helped to calm the itch, making the skin feel better instantly.

Lastly, there are many different fungi out there. What works for one, may not work for another, which is probably why those prescription meds didn't work for me. I can't promise this cure will work for everyone or for every type of fungus, but it worked great for me. It's cheap and easy and has no noticeable side-effects, so what do you have to loose? (Disclaimer: I am not a healthcare professional. I'm an electrical engineer and software engineer, no medical training. Just passing along what worked for me.)

This thread has 44 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!