May Flowers and Such 2013

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Everything is very wet this morning!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

It is beautiful here today. I am sitting in a chair in the yard right now. I was going to do some weed eating but there is no string in the weed eater. I can't figure out how to get the top off and DH is sleeping. He threw up last night and had dry heaves before breakfast this morning. I hope it's just the meds. He ate breakfast and went back to sleep. He gets the new top for his leg tomorrow afternoon. I know it will improve his walking. He is excited. Tomorrow night at 7 we have the National Day of Prayer service at our local park. Steve heads that up. Friday night he has a wedding rehearsal and the wedding on Saturday at 1. Then church twice on Sunday. I am hoping to carve out an overnight get away the beginning of next week. We shall see. Hope you are all enjoying a good day. Has anybody heard from Nick?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Lovely day here, too, although I've not been outside yet because I was awake late in the night and then overslept. It's a good day (biodynamically) to sow or plant fruiting plants (beans, tomatoes, squash, etc.) and tomorrow will be good for root plants.

I'll be gone to Wake Forest Hosp. in NC all day Friday for some medical appointments, and Saturday @ 7 AM, a contractor will be here to start fixing the mess the guy I fired did on the back over-roof.

Later today I'm getting a CapTel phone from the Virginia Dept. for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (it has a screen displaying the text much like close-captioning on TV). It will make phone calls easier to understand.

Now, if I could also get better sound quality on my TV (NOT more volume, that doesn't help), I'd be a Happy Camper.

Thumbnail by darius
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The Strawberries are starting to Leaf out Nicely. Everything else I planted last week is doing ok - Except the cucumbers Lost all four of them so they will need to be replaced. Think I will wait a couple of weeks on their replacement. Still need to get some onions and Carrots planted.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Darius, we are praying for you at our church. Hoping for good reports from your appointments. And I hope your new contractor is an improvement over the old one. I have never seen such a phone. My Momma could have benefited from one of those.

Dyson, glad to know your garden is coming along well. Cukes have not done great for me either. I still have 2 but they don't look great. What kind will you get?

Steve woke up and put string on the weed eater for me. I was able to get things trimmed right close to the house and the garden. Got it all raked and dumped over the hill. Also got the walk swept. I am watching the birds feasting on the bugs I flushed out. :) Now I have to get the feeding done and then get ready for church.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

"Straight 8" 1.29 for a 4 pack of plants at the local hardware store. I will try again in a couple of weeks.

I wish I liked cukes, but they just don't agree with me.

Caj so sorry to hear of this news of the infection. sending you love
great news on the strawberrys some day i would love to grow some but i think the deer would beat me to it.
darius sending you healing energy for the trip to the hosp. hope it all goes well. Hope the new contractor can fix it .
i m still looking for a person to build a loft in our barn. no one calls you back ?

Belle Center, OH(Zone 5a)

Hey folks, sorry I've been gone so long. I'm working from before light to after dark almost every day. We had a guy get fired at work so I have been on the road a lot doing his job (he was our egg route driver and chick deliverer. I'm off from work today so I'll be busting my hump around here, but I'm taking it easy this morning. I am getting under the house and tapping into the water line. I have it run out to the chickens, but I need to hook it up. We have been running a hose out to the stock tank and filling it up every week. But that's a PITA. In the winter Debbie has ben taking water from the kitchen sink out to water the birds.

I'm also planting Asparagus today so as to expand the beds, and do ing some mowing and maybe tilling. It's the time of year when sleep is a serious commodity.

I saw a bear on the turnpike in Pa last week when I was coming home from Va (Staunton). At the landfill Monday 2 bald eagles set down on my truck before diving into the euthanized chicks we were dumping. I don't think they're all that endangered anymore.

We have been hatching chicks here at home and selling them on craig's List. Buff orps and Americanas. Yesterday we loaded some harlequin ducks and next week we'll set some guineas. So far they have been selling pretty good. I brought Cornish cross home from work yesterday so in a few weeks we'll have fresh chicken. just in time as we are about out of last year's batch. I also bought 4 boer goats as soon as they are born and weaned. so we'll have baloney this fall. I'm probably going to get pigs this coming week.

How've you all been? Sue, are you going to DeGraff this Saturday? We are going to sell off a few extra ducks and aurcana roos, and all the adult Buff Orpingtons. Plus whatever chicks haven't sold yet.

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have 66 cornish cross chickens , but wanted to get a minimum of 100 raised up and put in the freezer this spring . Our local tractor supply is no longer carrying the chicks....anybody know where I can get another 30-40 pretty cheap??

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I am beyond tired tonight but I got a lot done today. I led Max home down the mountain. It's a bit over a mile and it took about 45 minutes to make the trip. He did great. Several coal trucks passed us and lots of cars and trucks in both directions and he never batted an eye. He is such a good boy. He ate so much grass when we got home he finally just stood and looked around. Him and the goat are getting g along pretty well so far. I think they are going to be good company for each other.

I got the rest of the floor dug out in the goat house and got some sawdust put in. They just go in there to eat and to get out of the rain so there is plenty room for the two of them. One of my next projects will be to get the pile moved out to the 'melon patch'. I think I will plant taters in the pile.

I got the garden weeded and watered. I also got a couple squash planted and an eggplant transplanted after I added some compost to the small bed.

I did some organizing in the horse trailer and brought the rest of my chicken feed to a friend who has chickens. I went to the barn and fed the other horses.

When I was finished with my work I walked up to the church and changed the sign. Then it was back home for a bit more work and a long soak in a hot tub of water.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a pretty good shot that shows most of the garden.

This message was edited May 5, 2013 9:11 PM

Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here are a few more pics of the garden.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy Thumbnail by CajuninKy Thumbnail by CajuninKy Thumbnail by CajuninKy Thumbnail by CajuninKy
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Got good news for a welcome change. No infection in the culture from DH's back!!!!!!! We sure needed some good news.

I picked some lettuce this morning for a salad. Tasted good. My berries are getting some size to them and I have noticed a few chipmunk so I have to get something put together to cover my berries. I hate chipmunks.

It has been raining here the last couple days and nights. Be glad when it stops.

Caj, God's Critters gotta eat too... why not leave a small portion for them? I tithe 10% of my garden greens and veggies to the critters.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

The Strawberry patch is leafing out nicely - if it ever stops raining (I know, in a couple of months I will be praying for moisture) I will get pics.

We sold a bunch of birds at the livestock auction in DeGraff this past weekend. Got the check in the mail yesterday and was amazed at what they brought. The chicks went for 6-7 dollars each!! Of course, we had some of the parent stock there for folks to compare them too, and we had them well packaged. Most folks don't go to an auction to buy chicks, so they don't bring anything to carry little baby birds in. So we package them in small boxes of no more than 10. The guys that bring boxes of 100 or better and can't get more than a quarter per chick have never seemed to figure that trick out. Anyway, it will pay for the vet bills and the dogs perscriptions, with enough left over for a movie and pizza.

Debbie and I went to the Master Gardener's Plant sale this morning at the Hardin County fairgrounds. I go every year. We got some starts of sweet basil, rhubarb, Lily of the Valley, and a big pot of lemon thyme. Also got 4 bags of assorted gladiolus corms. nothing was more than $1. so for $11 we got a got a couple flats worth of plants. We went to the gas station on 68 and had eggs and sausage and spuds as we waited for them to get set up. Debbie says I really know how to show a girl a good time. hehehehe

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Cold here this morning, wondering how many more plants I am going to lose - already have to replant the cucumbers.

I awakened to frost here yesterday and again this morning. Hopefully that's the last of it until Fall. I don't have much in the ground except some alliums and 18" elderberry saplings, but the mini GH on the porch is loaded.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Did not lose anything else but I have some sorry looking plants - Come on warm weather!

congrats on the score Nik. always helps when you can sell many.
not much going on here
trying to get my composting and recycling programs organized LOL
got 4 new raised beds in the garden. added soil too
got a sand bed out of my back gardens. i used it for nursery stock and growing out rooted cuttings.
so lots done today
next project is to take down the old chicken coop
also have a woman coming to buy my old nursery stuff. to many pots laying around. may as well sell them and make a bit of cash. hopefully she brings cash and not a check. she has yet to call me back to let me know if that is ok.
so i hope to get that done
also got a contractor to build a loft in the barn. that will help get junk of the ground.
not going to bother with a garage sale, just going to donate it most of the stuff.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I have been cleaning in my basement. Ours is not a finished basement. Just a "cave" hewn out of the bedrock under the house. The humidity is high and things are getting mold and mildew on them. I am in the process of going through the boxes and burning ruined things. It is heart breaking. Most of it is books.

Our micro climate has protected my plants the last few chilly nights and I thank God for it. Peas are blooming. Beans are growing but no blooms yet. Tomatoes are blooming. A couple look like they are having a problem and I am praying it is not blight. Lettuce is going gang budgets but both my cucumbers have gone south. Have to replant those. I had to buy a straight neck yellow squash plant because mine did not sprout. I also bought a white and a Japanese eggplant. Strawberries are blooming and I need to get some netting over them. The shed cat killed a chipmunk and I could have kissed her. But she does not like to be touched so I passed. :) The bed I made in front and planted greens in, has been a sad failure. The only thing that sprouted was the Osaka purple mustard and a couple chard. I think I may do another planting of beans. We like beans. I also bought a cup with 3 okra plants. I had tried to sprout some okra but none of it came up. I think I will plant all 3 of them in one tire. 3 plants should produce all we need.

Max is loving life here at the house. He is gaining weights I am going to have to cut down on his grain. He doesn't get much but he was foundered before we got him so we have to be careful of his feet and gaining too much weight is hard on them. But he is so happy with all the grass I don't think he will miss the grain. He and the goat have turned out to be good company for each other.

The cat in the basement is starting to feel at home. He was a barn cat where I had Max and he was not going to be fed after I moved Max, so I trapped him and moved him to my basement. I am the only person he would let touch him anyway. He was really distrustful when I first moved him but he is back to his old self now. Might even be a bit tamer. I have opened the basement door while I am cleaning and I figured he would make a break for it at the first opportunity but it didn't happen. He wandered out and looked around but every time I went back in he followed me. I imagine eventually he will move out of the basement and get acquainted with the shed cat. I hope she does not make him as wild as she is.

Time for bed. Doctor tomorrow. Hope you are all doing well and enjoying life.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We had quite a rain with t&l this morning. We needed the rain.

My beans have some buds that should begin opening in the next few days. Peas are blooming good.

I ate 2 strawberries in the last 2 days. Tasted good but not sweet yet. Looks like my 2 cukes May not be dead after all.

Three of my patty pan squash have come up after all. So I moved the white eggplant and left the squash in it's place.

My pepper plants are not looking good.

Worried about our van. It is not sounding good and we sure can't buy a new one.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Steam cleaned carpets today and rode Ben.

Busted my hump in the garden today. I am in a new spot which I am expanding. I weeded whats already done and then spread more leaves, manure, and rotted straw on the expansion. Then tilled it all in and cross tilled it. I also drove 1/2 dozen fenceposts and got the fence on the north side of the garden hung. it's only 530, but Im about done working for the day. How is everyone elses weekend going?

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Not too good. The rear axle broke on our van this afternoon. We don't have another vehicle. It is a recall part so we are hoping they will pay to have it towed in and fixed. Makes it harder that tomorrow is a holiday.

Still have not finished steam cleaning yet but have a lot of it done. Switched two rooms. Moving furniture is hard when you are weak and your only help is crippled but we are getting is a little at a time. DH is getting much better on his leg.

Went to the kidney doc Thursday and got some good news. Kidneys have stabilized at about 48 percent output. Would love for it to be higher but so thankful they are not deteriorating any more. And We know God is able to heal him completely if He so chooses.

Been picking a few strawberries every day. Beans are blooming and I have seen a few small peas. Lettuce is growing like crazy.

Nik, I wish I had your stamina!

Actually with as many handicaps as Caj faces, she still accomplishes more than I manage to do.

I don't know from stamina, but I have a list of things, and I work from the list. I add to it as needed and cross things off when finished. Since Deb and I got married she has been taking care of all the birds, and she operates the incubators. She also does a bit of weeding. The Grandson comes over a lot and he pretty much takes care of the mowing and weedwhacking. It's not so much stamina as just plodding along without getting sidetracked, and if you are sidetracked, then asap, get back on the right track.

Hope things work out with your vehicle, Caj.

Nik, I have to make lists of everything, I cannot rely on my memory anymore. I can get sidetracked in a mere 2-3 minutes without my lists!

Hopefully I'll get some seedlings in the ground today... summer squash and several bean varieties. Tomato seeds are just starting to emerge, a few are almost a wispy inch tall. Tomatoes cannot go in the ground here until June when the soil has warmed enough. The tiny portable plastic GH (a gift last year) has been VERY useful.

My strawberry patch is so weed-filled that I'm not sure if there are any berries growing in there or not. I do need to harvest and freeze rhubarb but I'm short on freezer space, even with 2 freezers.

i decided not to do a veg garden. I am going to CA to see my family.
I am busy trying to find a house sitter for our animals. i new it would not be easy.
summer routine is slow going. Trying to switch into summer is harder then i thought. LOL
so i m really really bored !
no veg garden
no nursery business
no house cleaning business
kids are only doing one sport.
by 3 pm i m pretty bored .
usually i have 15 hr days this time of year.
what was i thinking
LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Still getting the run around from Ford. Cannot say I am surprised. It's big business after all. Praying for God's favor and trying not to get too stressed over it all.

Had to water the garden today. Beans are blooming. Picked a pea yesterday. It was delish. I love to eat them raw. Picking a few strawberries every day. Tomatoes are blooming but 1 or 2 look like they have the blight. I bought a replacement but I have to find a new container for it. Lettuce is doing well. I thought my 2 clues were done for but they are still limping along and blooming. The peppers are lost in the beans so I need to dig around and see how they are doing. One of my 3 eggplants is blooming. I have a long purple, a green and a white. I like them fried. Got thyme, sage, mint and lemon balm growing well but my basil has not happened.

Cajun sounds like your garden is doing great.

I wish my garden was doing great. When I should be outside planting, instead I'm doing interior house repairs. This week (and next) my sis is off work and we're tackling needed repairs. So far it's mostly electrical work, moving wiring and installing receptacles, light switches, and new lights due to the recent relocation of doors and windows in the kitchen and 2 of the bedrooms.

Once the wiring is complete, then it will be time to drag out my chop box and cut new trim for the 2 doors and 1 window.

I do have a few things planted, and several trays of seeds I started in the mini-GH, but I just haven't figured out how to do two things at once.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I know you must be chomping at the bits. I am lucky my inside work could wait until the garden got up a bit. I had to water yesterday.

new thread for June

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1315762/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.