Ripley, MS

Dick Clark

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Honey perfume

Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

Bed Shots

Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms Thumbnail by slcdms
Ripley, MS

There are places where you can still see the tornado damage. They were hit when the kids were out for spring break and Adam was at home with Pat. The top of this tree is gone

Thumbnail by slcdms
(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

Those are beautiful roses! Thanks for sharing.

Ripley, MS

Loading pictures is so slow tonight

Thumbnail by slcdms
Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I love the Dick Clark!!! That is one pretty rose!!! I'm so glad that you and Pat had this time together.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Really pretty roses! Looks like you all were having a good time!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Beautiful roses! so glad you had fun!

Ripley, MS

We did have a good time, Adam looks so weird with black hair, his is a light brown, they had him dye it for the show.

Thumbnail by slcdms
Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Those are some gorgeous roses! And look at that perfect foliage! Mine would never look like that. I agree with Jeri, Dick Clark is stunning.

Glad y'all had such a good time, Sandra.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I have been using corn meal around my roses and have had a lot better luck with the black spot. Of course, I need to put more out with all this rain we have been getting lately!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

What does the corn meal do ??

Ripley, MS

It is supposed to help with black spot. Some of their roses did have a little black spot, they were damaged in the tornado too , some of the beds had been cut back to the ground.
I liked the dick Clark too, but I think cherry parfait was my favorite

Thumbnail by slcdms
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

good photos of you, Pat, Tommy and Adam! Beautiful roses, too!! I tried the corn meal "tea" when I lived in Cabot. It didn't help my roses at all. Up here in southern Missouri I have been told that the Hybrid Tea roses don't do well at all so I don't have any but I do plan on getting a few Knock-out roses. Also, Sandra, you will be glad to know that Gunny's rose is doing very well--lots of foliage on her now and I am expecting buds very soon. :)

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Marilyn I don't make a tea. I sprinkle the corn mea dryl around the base of the rose bush and it has worked for me the last 2 years really well.

Ripley, MS

I was reading an article the other day about a disease that is striking the knockout roses, it said it was very bad.
I think I would not buy any knock outs this year anyway until they figure out how to stop it.

Jeri, do you re apply when it rains?

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Not after every rain but if it's a gully washer then I usually do.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I need to try that. Sounds easier and cheaper than Bayer Systemic.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

thanks for that info about the knock-out roses, Sandra. I will wait and see what happens with them.

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! Roses are beautiful! Looks like a fun time!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, you can buy a big sack of corn meal at your local feed store. It is the kind they give to cattle and it is a lot cheaper than buying it at the grocery store.

The local garden experts around here published some articles about the disease on Knockouts a year or two ago. Apparently it was quite unexpected since Knockouts were thought to be somewhat 'bulletproof'. I trimmed mine way back this year and put some systemic (Bayer Complete) on mine, so hopefully they will do ok. I use that stuff on just about everything. But I'll sure try the cornmeal!

Ripley, MS

I like that Bayer myself, I think with all our humidity nothing will stop some black spot on the leaves.
I am thinking Diane from Gardens Oyvey posted the link on Facebook, she said it destroyed her daddy's heirloom roses also.
I looked at Lowes to see what roses they had and they only had knockouts, so I guess that is all customers want anymore.lll

St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

Yes, knockouts are very popular. It is the rose for people who don't want to take care of a rose. Less deadheading and spraying, shrubby with multi blooms per stem, and very bountiful flowers. But no fragrance. I think knockouts have a place, but I love tending to my rose garden, and don't want to use hedge trimmers to prune them. And black spot is just a given here in the humid south. I can live with a little spraying to have my roses.

Ripley, MS

What do you spray on yours Hap?

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Love the pics , Sandra !!!

Rose Rosette disease is what you want to watch out for . It is actually a virus spread by a mite and if a rose is affected , you HAVE to bag the entire plant and destroy and burn the rose plant to avoid spreading to other roses...it will go airborne. You CANNOT just cut out affected part and spray as some people think . As of now there is no known cure or treatment. The American Rose Society is dropping the ball on this one , by underreporting the disease spread to its members, too ....but thats another story entirely !

It is characterized by vigorous new growth of reddened canes ( not just red leaves but the actual cane being red ) excessive thorniness on the affected canes, and curled twisted leaves like a virus often does. It is a terrible disease that can affect ALL roses , not just the knockouts. Virginia has a really bad problem with it and it is decimating peoples rose gardens all over due to all overplanting of Knock outs particularly in commercial locations. Unfortunately the knock outs are particularly susceptible to the virus. You can look up pics of it, sort hard to spot cause a lot of roses new growth is normally red....but once you look at a pic it you can tell the difference.

We need to avoid the virus here by spreading the word especially among us serious gardeners, education and watching out for it in our own roses , and even in public plantings and garden centers to avoid its spread. Lots of "Landscape professionals " and garden center personnel know nothing about this new threat and the ones that do sometimes mistakenly believe they can cut out the deformed growth , spray , and continue to grow or sell. Unfortunately you cannot. I am on high lookout for it here and hope I dont ever see it , because I have over 200 roses now and if I have to destroy any or all of them , I would be heartbroken.

Yes, Sharon, that's the disease! I couldn't remember the name. Thanks for checking in and for all the detail. That's pretty much what I remember reading about it last year. Our local botanical garden expert ran a very extensive article in the paper about it and warned people to be on the lookout for it. He said the same thing that it was being under-reported and that people should dig up their roses and destroy them if they found evidence. I hope you don't ever see it with all your roses! I only have a few knockouts, but when I retire, I'd love to have a few 'real' roses to care for. My uncle had beautiful roses when I was growing up and I still remember the care he put into his rose garden.

(Linda Kay) Amarill, TX(Zone 7a)

http://www.ars.org/?page_id=3241

http://midatlanticgardening.com/pests-and-diseases-rose-rosette-disease/

Here are a few articles that explains it.

Ripley, MS

Hi Sharon, over 200 now---wow !

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh, my goodness, that is so sad about the RRD and the Knock-outs and other roses. I had 7 knock-outs at my house in Cabot and they were wonderful--grew fast bloomed from spring to fall and were just lovely! I hope they aren't suffering from RRD. Fortunately, I haven't planted any up here in Missouri.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Thanks for all the information about this!! Will sure be on the lookout!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.