It this Claytonia??

Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

So this is rather funny -
Today my sweetie and I were out picking weeds around out new home in the mountains, and we ALMOST pulled this.
I suddenly thought, is that claytonia? It doesn't look exactly like some species (there are 26 species or something), but this one
has little yellow flowers that may or may not bloom. What's funny is that I'm trying to grow some Claytonia (unknown species) in the greenroom right now for food. Haha!
However they're only sprouts. I have little experience with native and wild plants, but am doing my best to learn as much as I can now.

Was I correct in identifying this a type of Claytonia? Who knows? It seems to have many of the signature characteristics. Thanks in the advance for any help offered...

Thumbnail by LilyToes Thumbnail by LilyToes Thumbnail by LilyToes
Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

Excuse the typo in the title of the this post. It won't let me edit it out. "It this Claytonia". HAHA. Ahem, I meant, IS?

This message was edited Apr 30, 2013 5:52 PM

Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

My other question is, if any one could kindly give any recommendations: I am looking for some websites that sell edible wild and native seeds. Suggestions?
Or, I'd love to trade for some too...

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Did you ever get an answer to this?

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

I am not familiar with this plant, but i think you are on the right track
http://wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=CLPE

Yachats, OR(Zone 8b)

nope, no answer yet... I thought for sure the kind folks on the native and wild plants forums would know for sure..
hmm..

Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

It does look a lot like Claytonia, but I am not familiar with this plant. Hopefully someone else here will know. Have you tried the Plant ID Forum?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks a lot like Miner's Lettuce (Claytonia perfoliata) in many ways except that I've never see it with red stems, and the spike of seed pods does not look right.

Also suggest you post on the Plant ID Forum, it gets about 100 times the traffic as this one. You will undoubtedly get a satisfactory answer there.

This message was edited May 9, 2013 8:21 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.