Poppies 2013

(Mary) Anchorage, AK(Zone 4b)

Here is the new thread for 2013
This is where we came from

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1264128/

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Trying bread seed &lavender ,only thread watching..

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I spent the day yanking out hundreds of poppies and larkspur. My hands ache.

I am anxious to see the ones I left bloom.

Thanks for making the new thread.

I am always afraid to yank too much for fear I will yank all of one color or type and lose it. Dumb I guess. There are always more seeds to sow.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

All of mine are from the same seed. I like that. However, some of the seed comes up in different coolers--always a surprise!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

birder17: I get a mixture too Its always a surprise.I did save seeds from a red 5 years ago and it still blooms true I named mine "Nice Red"
This is last years pix.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Beautiful red poppies. They look slightly more of a cool cherry red than a hot orange red. And poppies always look so frilly and delicate.

i always just let mine re-seed and see what shows up the following season.

My shirley's sitting out in a cold frame have germinated. They always seem to pop ahead of the others.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It will be great to see the blooms.

What was I worried about! ! ! I have millions of teeny germinates. I am so glad to have Mary's solution with the scissors.
Somehow I thought I deadheaded all my poppies but there are clumps sprouting in places I know I didnt sow.Like the middle of the iris.

That's great. Now you just have to cut off about three quarters of a million poppy seedlings to have big robust plants. lol

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I swear I didnt sow very thick.Some of the volunteered areas are like matts.I will just scrape some out.I know from the past that these will grow thin and peuny if they arent cut.I like that idea so much better than trying to pull them out in a week or so when they have 4 leaves.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are the latest pictures of my poppies taken this week, I certainly don't have as many plants as I had sown, but that's okay, it's survival of the fittest. Hopefully I'll see some blooms this year.

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165

Oh, I do hope so. I received some seeds last year and I have about 10 plants in six-paks that are very healthy. I put them out in the greenhouse today. They should get stronger with the natural light and atmospheric conditions. Other poppies that I winter sowed this spring havent popped yet except for the Shirleys.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Cem: those look like winners. Can you let them self sow for next year?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Cem, yours are way ahead of mine. Mine are very small and popping (LOL) up everywhere. I saw some buds on my Orientals yesterday.

My orientals are about 1" tall and only the shirley's have germinated. Interesting to watch the growth patterns across the US.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Mary, I hope your WS poppies and seedlings do well for you, and looking forward to seeing your blooms this year.

JoAnn, I hope the plants bloom and set seed. I'll try to save them if I get any.

Mike, pretty soon, your plants will be as big as mine, and blooming before you know it.

This crazy weather is driving me nuts, chilly at night for this time of the year in the 40's, and so much rain, but the plants do love it.

Annette

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I am itching to put annuals in the containers but mid may is the last frost date.I just cant loose the coleus.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

This year is the coldest spring I remember since we moved here in 1996. We're predicted have temps of 40's this Sunday and Monday night, which is crazy for this time of year. Protect those plants, unless you can cover them at night.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

The long term forcasts was for a long cold spring and drought this summer.
It seemed the warm weather would never get here.We will have colder temps the rest of the week,50's and frosts at night.

Well that explains that. I still have peonies and lots of other plants that haven't even started to turn green. I worry and fret that they have died but maybe they are just very late. It was down in the upper 20's last night. It better get warm before I leave June 2 or I don't know what I will do.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm sending some warmer weather your way Mary. Everything is just confused and blooming later this year. I still have tulips blooming, unheard of in May, and the irises, peonies, and clematis are all blooming at the same time, instead of being staggerd like they had been in years past.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My Tulips are dying back now , All my perennial poppy efforts failed , Red Rose summer annual are growing now ,, oh goodie !!! maybe just Maybe?

Hmph. I wonder why you have problems with perennial poppies. You mean like the orientals? Otherwise just pitch seed in the yard and they grow just as good as perennials. For all practical purposes they are perennial. My WS poppies are all germinating now. Hope they are big enough to stick in the dirt Before I have to leave.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I just do , my only explanation , that isn't really an explanation ,Could be lots of things , Years ago it was small critters , I will wait until the ground hogs move on now , goodness can those things eat flowers ,
Can't use the shotgun here and that's about about the only thing I know of that might ? take care of that problem .. In the meantime I will practice with the annuals and hope for tomorrow ..
As do many ..

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Is there a kritter repellent? like Repellz All.I think I saw groundhogs on the list.I spray all the time to keep deer and rabbits off my plants.

http://www.gardeners.com/Repels-All-%23174%3B-Animal-Repellent/38-534,default,pd.html

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

The Repell All comes in a granular form as well as a spray. I've used the granular for with some success against the rabbits.

I use a blood compound (Planskyyd) which is expensive and smelly but does the job for the moose. Not sure how mice would fare.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

juhur: we catch ground hogs in traps. I'm on a borrowed computer so won't be able to respond.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Truthfully I do not want to catch them at all , anymore than the Raccoons that keep walking up behind me , this past week or so ..!!
I walk around with a big digging fork ,gives me a chance if they misbehave ,,

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.