Finally, sprouts.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I am always trying to add to my collection of native plants. I winter sowed some seeds of Smilax lasioneura, Blue Ridge Carrion Flower on December 29, 2011. No germination was apparent last year so I left the container uncovered for a second winter. I just noticed that there is finally some germination. Guess I'll be potting some up soon. Goes to show you that natives may take multiple years to germinate.

Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Clarksville, TN(Zone 7a)

Nice work! Did you surface sow or sow just below the soil or?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

According to my notes the seeds were sown 3/8 inch deep.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

That's great!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Lovely! I have read about those complex cycles.

This is the first time I noticed seedlings under my Bleeding Hearts, and quite a few.
I have a ton of sprouts of your Verbena blattaria seeds now, sowed in January. And some Liatris spicata. Maybe Campanula americana, but they might have drowned.
Will get out and save seeds of Fernleaf corydalis tomorrow- its very nice.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Verbena blattaria? Sure you don't mean Verbascum?

That's it ! Starts with a Ver for sure...

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Want to trade some V. blattaria sprouts for some healthy C. americana sprouts next week?

unfortunately, I will not be at Jan's swap..we have a wedding to attend, with our daughter as one of the bride's attendants.
The V blattaria are tiny still so I have gently nudged them a little looser into a four inch pot, trying to ease them apart to grow. And will do my best to have enough to share.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Oops! Forgot you will be missing. There is always the fall swap, if not sooner.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.