Frost effect on Iris, am stumped

Corrales, NM

I have just had the 2nd. frost damage to my iris beds. The leaves have turned white and many laying down, although the base on
most are still green. Some of the buds died and some are still there. A few beds in protected areas are fine. My question----will
this effect the buds that haven't appeared? Many are small due to replanting last fall and then an extremely cold, dry winter. If
anyone has experienced this, I would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Lyndon, IL(Zone 5a)

I don't think you have to worry about stalks/ buds that haven't yet emerged. And I think most of the "white"on the leaves will go away.Not all, but most. Probably you will be "blessed" with ugly brown, leaf tips, but those can be trimmed later. How cold did it get? Mine seem to withstand anything down to 28, with no sign of damage....Arlyn

sun city, CA(Zone 9a)

we go down to 18 degrees (not often ) and it has had no effect on my irises.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

It seems if you have iris that are laying down, as in not standing upright on their own, that they may have froze. That is a little different than just getting frosted. If they are frozen all the way through, they get soft and mushy and fall over flat and they will not recover. The frozen part is gone, of course the root will regrow new stuff later, but not buds or stalks again until next year, unless you have a reblooming kind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.