Chat and Swap thread Part 3 for The RU at Jan23 on May 18

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Let's continue chatting and swapping here. It's getting closer and I am so very excited!!

We came from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1307638/#new

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

part three! you guys are the swappinest swappers yet

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Oh, good, it worked (again). Yoohoo!!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

And Ruby and John and Greenthumb99/David haven't even put up their Haves and Requests yet!!
And NisiNj and Nuts fordaylilies have only tickled our fancies with "tomatoes" and "daylillies". Thinking, too, that Crittero;ogist/Jill will have last minute additions as will many of the rest of us.

sallyg/Sally Did you notice that I requested a Bowmans Root (Porteranthus) from Aspenhill for you? Dry shade yep.

Swap on! Coleup/Judy

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Who doesn't love tomatoes?!?? I can't wait for tomato sandwiches..

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I can't open the spreadsheet.. it's not a clickable link for me ???

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

*****Adding a new item, again, to my haves list. Available--just ask....See below....

Spent the day helping my daughter get things planted. Not all plants--just the hardy stuff.
She has a hairline fracture in her left knee and is on crutches.
I will be pulling double duty in garden work for a while....well, what are Moms for.....

She has a small area by her mailbox that used to have my 4 O'clock s "Broken Colors"
in there. Now they come up every year--Lots and Lots!

So--I dug up a good amount and will pot it up in cups or something.
Be warned that these require about at least a 2' square area per plant. Full sun too....
They grow big and bloom beautifully---blooms are whichever combo of colors--neat!
Hence the "Broken Colors" name.

Here's some pictures.....YES! These are ALL from the same plant!
Last picture--a ripe seed--which you will want to collect by the cup-full in October....
OR---they will come up all over---just like MG.'s But! Who would not want this beautiful plant?

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

wow Gita!! so beautiful. and thank you for holding a dark leaf canna for me. I'd love a few broken colors too if you can.

just fyi, only two of my four o'clock seedlings germinated and our cat, Snoops, bit the tops off!! she loves her tender 'greens'... anyway believe it or not, they actually regrew from the centers! a crazy four o'clock fact lol

overall, most of my various seedlings don't look so great (some getting pale and losing their green color) this year. I used a different soil mix that seems more like mulch and I think it is keeping them too damp. I'm going to go buy new soil and replant tomorrow to try and save our babies!! never a dull moment...

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Wind--No problem---In 3 more weeks, these seedlings (of the 4's) should be nice, little plants.
They have, at this time, just the cotyledon leaves, but they grow fast...Will add it to your list....

Odd that your cat did not get sick eating these...they are just like MG.'s and Brugs and dDaturas--
Toxic if ingested....The old "Nightshade family"--you know...

Gita

Porteranthus? Never heard of it, but who am I to argue with 'good for dry shade"? THanks for thinking of me and my dry shade. Now off to plant files.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I know the 4 o'clock seeds are poisonous not sure about the plant it self.. but Gita I would love some please!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

sorry Michele just found out she has a VFW installation that day and won't be able to make it :(

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Onewish--will add you to the list for some 4's....

Funny--when pictures of a plant are posted--everyone gets a better idea of what it
looks like--and then they want some--especially if they are flowers...

And--I know that--and I love to have you all see how beautiful things are.

Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Sallyg/Sally Here is the link to Porteranthus 'Pink Profusion'
http://www.northcreeknurseries.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/471/index.htm

ssgardenerI had to move some of my Snow Drops today before they go dormant, so I potted some up for you if you want them

Nice flowers Gita. Hope your daughter heals quickly.

Coleup/Judy

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thank you

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses---

I have a question---
On the spreadsheet sign-up, WHY do you need people's e-mail addresses?
I don't care, personally, but would that not be a personal choice to share--or not to share?

Do you plan to put that on the name tags as well?

Just wondering.......Gita

thanks for the link Judy; very pretty

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you Coleup! My first snow drops! :)

Porteranthus 'Pink Profusion' is quite pretty

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Isn't it though?!

Folks=
In a dmail on another subject, greenthumb mentioned that he has been very busy. And then there was a death in the family (his BIL's mom, I believe) last week. So that is why he hasn't posted recently.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Aspen: Do you have any Porteranthus 'Pink Profusion' left? I'd love to try a plug (or more) -- and happy to reimburse you for it!

Gita: I'd love a Rudbeckia Hirta if you have one left -- I love that plant! I meant to plant seeds this year but forgot. I thought it was a self-seeding annual.... I'd also love a "broken colors." I thought they had to be overwintered indoors.

Terp: I have a lot of hydrangeas, but I don't think I have any named oakleafs....

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

No special reason for the e mail request, Gita. I was just looking at how Gardadore handled that kind of stuff at my seed swap and saw that she collected e mails. Nothing on the SS is carved in stone and is supposed to be just a fun thing to play with.

I'd be happy to have some of your 4 o clocks, Gita, since your pictures ARE SO BEAUTIFUL.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

My oak leaf is not named. It came from where I used to work. I asked one of the grounds people for a volunteer.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jan23/Jan I know you are busy with family and all the stuff hostessing one of these swaps entails, but I also know you are re-doing two of your beds. Aren't there some other plants/ shrubs/ etc you would like?
Or, if you inherit all of the excess plants as someone suggested, would you prefer they be for sun or shade, dry or wet? Colors? Tell us about your yard and environs where we will be pitching Swap in 3 weeks!

coleup/Judy

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Happy--
Will put you down for The :Hirta" and some 4's.

The "Hirta"--came back for me between 2009 ans 2010. The picture above is from 2010.
I was ecstatic! Then I never saw it again. I labeled it as an Annual/tender perennial.
Used to have these years ago too--and they would self-seed....

Roses--Have you down for the 4 o'Clocks---I have plenty.

Re the "List" you are working on--it IS stepping out of the "usual" way names have been handled.
I know of TWO people who will not sign in because they feel it is an invasion of privacy to ask for
last names and e-mail addresses. Be careful! I deleted my e-mail because of that.
Don't forget--that anything on-line can be hacked into....

DG name and real first name is all that is needed on tags at the swap.....
I bet you could make nice tags just with that. Gita

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

She didn't ask for last names .. It just says real name.. I am not that paranoid .. If they want your info they will get it anyway.. Just leave it off if you are not comfortable .. The world won't stop spinning

Thanks for the 4 o'clocks, Gita. As I have said THIS SPREADSHEET IS JUST TO HAVE SOME FUN WITH. POST AS MUCH OR AS LITTLE AS YOU ARE COMFORTABLE WITH. IT WAS NOT MEANT TO BE A BIG DEAL!!!!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Well.....one bed is on north side of house just a peek of morning sun. Hence the request from wind for the aucuba cuttings. I'd like to hide an in ground AC unit eventually. I had English ivy there and some periwinkle that I pulled out. Blank slate.

Other bed is in front of house mostly west facing. There is already an oak leaf hydrangea, gold thread (I forget), spirea, nandina, a bloodgood maple, a bushy holly, and another holly( winterberry? Leaves not prickly, my brain went dead). The section that I dug out is where I think I'm putting the Cham. 'blue surprise', the Lonicera 'baggeson's gold' and the ceanothus 'dark star'. Maybe I should leave things in their containers and we can play musical containers and you all could place them where you think they would do best. Heehee. Actually that might not be a bad idea, then I have an excuse for not having it finished. Hmm....what do you think?

I tend to like hot colors with some purple thrown in to the mix. I have a mixture of 'light' areas. No wet areas, but do have an area that can puddle if the rain is heavy.

Re: the name list. RRR said it is a fun thing, sooo... We don't need to turn it into a big deal. DG name and real first name is good. If you want to include more fine. Enough said.

I have an idea and I am hoping it pans out. We shall see. I will leave you in suspense.

Roses, I couldn't figure it out for name tags for us. Could you please make a tag for me and Harry? I'll also try it again before we go

Jan, the Aucuba is so nice. It has inconspicuous blooms this time of year. It is bloom right now!! I'm taking your cuttings today. I wanted to wait until after it bloomed

Thumbnail by wind Thumbnail by wind
Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Aren't those pretty? Thank you

Diana, you have D Mail.

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Wind that Aucuba is beautiful!! I only wish I was a zone warmer!!!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Happy, yes I have Porteranthus 'Pink Profusion' left. I thought of you and your gardens when they arrived, and already had in my mind to bring some for you. Also, no need to re-imburse - plugs were cheap and I just want to share this one around and see how it does for others since it is new to me.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Quote from Jan23 :
My oak leaf is not named. It came from where I used to work. I asked one of the grounds people for a volunteer. [/quote]

That's ok Jan, if you have a volunteer I'd love it. If it is good enough for you it is good enough for me.

[quote="happy"]Terp: I have a lot of hydrangeas, but I don't think I have any named oakleafs...

Happy we will talk about the hydrangeas at some point, I like the odd balls like this guy "shooting star"
http://s394.photobucket.com/user/flgardener_photos/media/100_1766.jpg.html
I'm also interested in your winter aconite, NOID japanese anemone, Saxifraga stolonifera (love this guy)

That "Shooting Star" is a great looking plant!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think Venu / Weeze has that shooting star.. looks familiar from one of our shopping trips

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just potted up (in yogurt cups) 36 baby 4'Oclocks I got from my daughter yesterday.
Ask away! Tell me how many you want....OK? There is plenty!!!

Remember--they grow big and full. Full sun and allow at least a 2'x2' area for each. Maybe more...
If you are in a warm climate--you may be able to leave it in the ground for next year.
However--it makes Massive roots--almost like "wind's" Canna--HUGE roots!

You may want to dig it up (brace yourself) and keep it dormant until early spring. Then, throw some soil
over it and water it now and then, and it will send out new, mini shoots....ready for growing again.

It IS a beautiful plant to have--and you will collect loads and loads of seeds....

--Here is a one year old root I had to dig up. The speckles go away.
--the roots in April of the following year--out of dormancy and starting to sprout.
Can you imagine how big these roots will be the following year after you re-planted them and dug them up again???

Just amazing--all from one little seed! I tell you--it is magical!!!

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.