raising or lowering pH?

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

I didn't see a specific forum to post this on so trying here............

The pH of my tapwater is right around 6.9 to 7.1, supplied by the city

I have been using Alaska Fish Emulsion to fertlize my veggies...mainly tomatos

Adding the recommended dose of fetilizer to a gallon of my tapwater the pH reads between 3.8 to 4.1, so I have been raising the pH to 6.5 using "pH Up" for aquariums which is pricey for what I am using it for considering I do 5 gallons at a time.

Any recommendations of what you use to raise / lower the pH of your water?

Thanks!!!!!

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

Water used for what purpose? Ph on plants isnt really an issue unless you want to change the color of ie; hydrangeas. True- watering with alkaline water will add to soil alkalinity. Sulfur can change acidity but many plants dont like sulfur and some plants are indifferent. Change ph for water to drink? I dont know. I think that hi nitrogen fertizers also can change ph. keep in mind I am answeringwhile sleep walking...

Enterprise, AL(Zone 8b)

What is the Ph of your soil? What was it when you started with this fertilizer method? Has it had any affect on the PH? How are the tomatoes growing?

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

Quote from Seedfork :
What is the Ph of your soil?

Good question Seedfork......I have not actually checked the pH of the the soil......just the water/fertilizer I have been adding.

Tomatos are really looking good, so I think what I am doing is working (needed or not, lol).....will try to take some pictures and post them.

This message was edited Apr 25, 2013 8:46 PM

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

I'll bet the Ph of your soil matters more than any other factor.

Contra Costa County, CA(Zone 9b)

pH up for aquariums might simply be baking soda. Read the label.
In an aquarium carbonates and bicarbonates are the most common buffer that stabilizes the pH.
The cheapest form of carbonates is baking soda, AKA sodium bicarbonate, or bicarbonate of soda.

If this is what you are adding, stop.
Most soils do not need more carbonates, and certainly do not need more sodium.

If your soil is too acidic, and low in calcium and carbonates then look into materials such as oyster shell grit or powder. Grit is sold for caged birds, including chickens. Powder is sold for horse stalls.
Soil that is very high in organic matter might benefit from something like this, but in large amounts, not just a little dusting.
If you need to do something like this, then clear the area to be treated, spread the material pretty thick and rototill it in. You might need to make this part of your annual vegetable bed preparation.
There are VERY few soils that need anything like this.

If you want to keep using aquarium products, you can. Or you can look for similar products for the landscape.

If you want to go farther into this issue here is what I would do.
1) Get a report on the water quality. (Available on line from most water companies, or in person at the local office) You can talk to the people there, too, and ask what they do to the water. What do they add?
Read it to find out the level of carbonates, calcium and magnesium. Carbonates might be reported as alkalinity. Calcium and magnesium might be reported separately, or together as General Hardness.
Test this at home, too, with an aquarium test kit for Water Hardness, KH and GH. Aquarium Pharmaceuticals makes these two tests, and packages them in one box. The test strips for aquariums (5 way or 6 way) also test these things.
If the KH is very low, then it is easy to change the pH, so your results with the fertilizer are not really a problem, just means you have very soft water. Carbonates buffer the pH. When they are low, the pH is easy to change.
If the GH is very low, then your water has very little calcium or magnesium in it. Again, very soft water. This may be great when you are cleaning the sink (no crusty white stuff) but is not so good for the plants. You might want to look into adding a calcium source, and use epsom salt for magnesium.
2) Grow more than just tomatoes and see if any nutrient deficiencies show up. Radishes are one crop that seem to show nutrient deficiencies pretty easily. Grow other stuff, too. Flowers, vegetables... Look at the trees and shrubs around you, too. Grow the test plants in areas without the fertilizer, and some with the fertilizer. Then figure out the difference: What nutrients are really lacking in your soil?

Phenix City, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the very detailed post Diana_K

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.