Iris that bloom with tulips??

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, Iris lovers,

Perhaps one of you could help me out...?

I just drove by an old house that has a beautiful red white and blue front garden. The red was a tall red tulip, the white was candy tuft, but what was that iris? It was tall, looked like it could be an old fashioned variety, and was two toned light and dark blue. I'm thinking it was some kind of border or median iris?

Does anyone know of an early blooming old-fashioned blue iris that would bloom with red tulips?? (And not a dutch iris grown from a bulb.)

Thanks for any help you can give.

t.

Kingston, NY(Zone 5b)

The old-fashioned blue-purple iris was probably the I. germanica, on the left in the picture. Another early bloomer is Eleanor Roosevelt which I think is the one on the right. These are found in the Historic section of iris catalogs. The tulip was probably a late blooming variety.

And of course the standard dwarfs (up to 8" high) can also be used – I like them with the species tulips as they are about the same height.

Hope that helps ~ Sondra

Thumbnail by hespiris
South Hamilton, MA

There is an iris pallida growing next to our church. You can tell because the spaeths which enclosed the flower before bloom are 'papery' instead of green. Usually violet colored.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the suggestions. It very well could be any of the three types--I looked up I. pallida and there is quite of range of color from blue violets to purplish.

I see that Old House Gardens sells both Eleanor Roosevelt and I. germanica, and other places sell those too of course.

I finally decided to knock on the door of the house where I saw the iris and ask to dig a few in exchange for something from my garden. That worked out very well--the owner was rather flattered and didn't want anything of mine although I would have been happy to share.

Cheerio!

South Hamilton, MA

great doings!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.