At wits end with log burners

Chester, United Kingdom

Can anyone help me?

My wife and would dearly love to have a log burner installed in our living room (see pic) and I have had 3 different quotes for the installation of one and it seems the more I learn the less I understand. For a bit of background, I live in a house built in 1988 with an existing gas fire and a concrete lined flue. The visits went thus:

Company 1 said I needed a liner but the 5 inch flexible pipe wouldn't be able to negotiate a tight bend in the flue about 3 meters from the ground without some brick being done to the chimney - which he didn't do and therefore prevented him installing a stove. End of the road there......

Company 2 said I also needed a liner but this was an easy process, he could do the brickwork modifications for £130. Unfortunately this company was very unprofessional in a number of areas and also suggested putting in a 6.5 Kw Aga Ludlow stove in a 4.8m x 3.4m room (which we believe would be massively more powerful than required).

Company 3 said I didn't need a liner as the concrete flue was sufficient, the chimney was external to the property and only connected on one side and that anyone that had said we needed a liner was talking nonsense.

I simply don't know what to do. All 3 companies are on the Hetas register - I have actually checked that myself. As I understand best practice these days seems to be to install a liner - but I have read things suggesting that it is the decision of the Hetas installer and in modern buildings with concrete flues, a liner isn't really needed.

If anyone can through advise me I would be most grateful as I don't think I can see the wood from the trees any more!

Kentish Lad

Thumbnail by Kentish_Lad
This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!