Looking for coral vine seeds

Pawleys Island, SC

Does anyone have some coral vine (antigonon leptus) seeds they would be willing to trade? I would love some of the pink and white.
I have lots I can trade.
Thanks,
Ibartoo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

Is that the same as Queen's Wreath? If it is I can send you seeds but these are all pink.

Pawleys Island, SC

I think Queen's Wreath is one of the other names for it. I would be happy to trade some seeds with you. Please send me a dmail. Thanks.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Let me look, Linda.

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks Amanda.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Linda:

I thought I remembered seeing it come recently in trade in a giant packet full of weird seeds.

From a reliable source, the packet says:

"Coral Vine? pink bloom trailing 2013.
I'm almost sure this is the vine you wanted.
It grows on my Aunt Linda's fence."

There look to be about 10 seeds in there of good size. Whatever it is I'll pop it in the mail to you asap. I think I still owe you postage for Ms. Huff. I saw her this morning coming back in my driveway on the south facing wall.

xox

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

Could you please give me any help on how you start these seeds. I bought 10 and out of the 10 only got one plantup, Thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Have you inspected the seeds? Are they still whole?

If they still look good you maybe they need warmer conditions to germinate?

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

I have checked and can not find any thing left. The one growing is about 5 in. tall now and has 4 true leafs. I hope I don't loose it. My ex grandmother have this vine in her yard 25 years ago, that when I fell for it. I am sure hers is long gone. Thanks

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7b)

Did you direct sow them outside? Possible something came and took the seeds away?

Take good care of that one seedling! If it's in the ground I would try to protect it. Something easy I have found is to cut a milk jug in half or better and then cut off the top (I use milk jugs to winter sow and discovered that the tops were very handy after everything was planted out).

It's a barrier for anything trying to get to your little plant, but also lets it get to the sunlight.

A.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

No I started it indoors. Will be moving outside in a few days. Temps here are already in the 90 so will do this very slowly. Thanks for your help.

Pawleys Island, SC

Txtea, When I start those seeds, I soak them overnight in hot water, then sow in small pots and place in ziplock baggies. Sometimes they take a month or more to germinate. so being patient is the hardest part for me.

Zephyrhills, FL

I know I have some and I know they must be good seeds, but it is taking forever to germinate them. I went to a place where I knew where some was growing and got cuttings. I hope they root.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

If they do root please let me know, then I can search around this area to see if anyone has it growing.

Zephyrhills, FL

One of my seeds finally sprouted a root. That's out of about 30 I collected.I had no idea they were so slow.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

That's great , the one I got out of 10 seeds is now about 6 in. tall, Sure hope it keeps growing. Good luck!

Cave Creek, AZ

I have them in red, white and pink. I bought plants from Almost Eden in Louisiana. The seeds took me I think 2 years to bloom. The plants were faster. I just love this plant. I don't think it needs much water but it does very well in wet areas too. I've seen them in very cold areas and it can take our cooking heat of Arizona in the summer. Humming birds go to the little flowers too. They can grow 30 feet at least up my palo verde tree. I think they like a lot of sun too.
Regards,
Mickey
Arizona
PS There is someone that always sell the seeds of coral vines on e bay.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

They grow all over a fence in my neighborhood and I send them out for a SASE - only the pink ones, however.

Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

The seed coat is very hard. They might benefit from nicking the seed coat before sprouting in a damp paper towel in a baggie.

Fabens, TX(Zone 8a)

allgr8dogs, Could I send you a SASE and get some, Thanks.

Pawleys Island, SC

Mickey, I would love to see a red one. I have only seen the pink and white.

I start all of my seeds in baggies, but I rarely pay attention to how long it takes them to sprout. LOL I usually soak them overnight ( sometimes 2 nights) fill my baggie 1/2 full with potting mix and then dump the seeds and water they were soaking in right into the baggie. Seal it up make sure it has air in it and the condensation keeps it moist enough for almost everything to germinate. Then I just set the baggies on a shelf in my greenhouse until the plants are large enough to transplant.

Thanks everyone.

Allgr8dogs, when you have some, I would love to send a sase, or trade for them. Thanks a bunch.
Ibartoo

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'll be picking coral vine seeds over the next couple of weeks - there are lots so if you want them SASE! :)

Pawleys Island, SC

I definitely want some. I will send sase. Thanks so much!

Zephyrhills, FL

One of my cuttings rooted, but all the rest bit the dust. Already that one is putting on new growth.So they can be rooted.

Dewey, AZ(Zone 7a)

I have coral vine seeds...they're pink ones. I've found that if you sand the seed a bit with an emery board, and soak it overnight before planting, it helps.
Let me know if anyone wants some. I was just going over the seed supply and have quite a few...and not enough fence to put them on, since I already have three thriving plants going here. :~)
Cheers!

Pawleys Island, SC

TexasDollie, I would love to have some. I will gladly trade or send a sase. I have about 300 ft. of ugly fence I would love to cover with these. Thanks

Cave Creek, AZ

Sorry I haven't checked Daves that often. My coral vines are just beautiful this year. I don't know why but my white ones all died this past winter. I just bought some new plants white and 2 more red ones from Almost Eden.
I found that the seeds took for ever to flower. I didn't know that they took for ever to sprout.
If anyone wants seeds let me know.
Does anyone have white seeds?
Mickey
kyleaz@earthlink.net

(Becky), Lipan, TX(Zone 7b)

Hi all, does anyone still have coral vine seed? I'd love to do a trade for some pink :)

Well any color really! Thanks!

Zephyrhills, FL

I noticed the ones around here are in heavy bloom now. I know I can get some seeds before much longer. Just message me. Glad to help.

Thanks ransom! I just emailed mickeyaz for some, but if it doesn't pan out, I'll let you know :)

Cave Creek, AZ

My coral vines are still blooming and just look great this year. I am going to cry when we have the first frost for sure. I don't see seed yet but I'm sure they will be forming soon. The red coral vines have a much thicker them.
How do you root them from Cuttings? Were do you take the cuttings?
Mickey

I found some seed for this, but mickeyaz, just wanted to let you know I looked up propagating these from cuttings and I read a lady had success rooting them in a vase of water, but I'm sure you could use a mix of half peat, half perlite and stuck a few cuttings in that, keeping them moist until rooted. Herbacious stem cuttings are suggested to be ideal, but for woodier stems, I've learned that scratching off the woody surface that will be below soil level helps the roots break through easier. Starting this vine from seed is supposedly a walk in the park though, so you may just want to wait for seed. Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.