Will vinca strangle lilies?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have a patch of vinca that I'd like to plant some Oriental and Asiatic lilies in. Will the vinca strangle the lilies or will they co-exist? Any experience with this combination? Many thanks.

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Most Lilies like sun while Vinca minor wants to be planted in partial shade to shade, but I doubt that Lilies would have any trouble growing up through Vinca minor as it is a useful ground cover, though it certainly can be invasive, for planting with many spring bulbs and summer shade perennials. Some of the more shade tolerant lilies are the Species ones as well as the Martagons and Regale, but I would just go to one of the serious Lily growers like Faraway, B & D, Lily Nook, Touch of Nature/eflower or Lily Garden for real advise or write a question in this forum for Shade Tolerant Lilies as I am passionate gardener, but not so knowledgeable. Patti

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

bbrookrd -- I know you to be both knowledgeable and passionate! I have a patch of vinca minor in a partly sunny spot. I always thought lilies required a lot of sun, but I have lilies growing happily in a lot of shade in my yard, and I have some bags of lilies. I think I'll try them in the vinca and see what happens!

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

HA , you are kind. I am a queen of "trying" and I neverbelieve anything much unless I have given it the old college try. I grow Vinca minor in Vt in mostly full shade, but some of it has escaped to more sunny spots though I hope it is kept in check in those spots. However I noticed some of my neighbors patches creeping out into her yard near her veggie bed which is in full sun so Vinca may not care what the books say. If your combo works, it could give me some ideas for lilies in Vt. I know the lilies will just push up through the Vinca if they like the spot as they are tenacious. I will look forward to seeing a shot. I wonder which early lilies would be in bloom at the same time? My earliest is usually that clear salmon colored one called Longiflorum-Asiatic (L.A.) Hybrid Lily
Lilium 'Salmon Classic' and then Lily Div. 1 Asiatic Hybrids Lollypop. I am trying a bunch more of the new short ones this year which bloom early too. I planted 25 of one called Tiny Sensation yesterday and 8 of Tiny Pradhye yesterday. Many more to plant tomorrow if the rain stops. Patti

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I have no idea whether the ones I'm planting will coincide with the Vinca blooms -- it'll look quite patriotic if they do (since the lilies are bright red and the vinca bright blue). I may ultimately pull out the vinca, but I was looking for a spot to put 15 bulbs and my eyes lighted upon this spot -- a tiny bit of sun and nothing but the vinca planted there!

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm chuckling as I read this post. I just planted some lilies amongst the vinca in my back bed last week. I pulled some of it out to make room for the 3 sets of lilies planted. There are peonies planted in the same area close by, and when needed, I pull the vinca away from the peonies so they get more sun exposure. I'll do the same for the lilies. It's easy enough to pull out.

I'll post how the lilies do in this area. The vinca came as a part of a potted plant. It grew out the pot, creeped until it reached the dirt, and it has taken off from there. I'm now also seeing the vinca outside of my basement, about 15 ft below the retaining wall, from where the original plants are growing. I wonder if it grew from seed in this new area, I certainly didn't plant it there.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yeahhh pull the vinca and plant away.Vinca will fill in.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks to all. I know vinca will kill many gentle perennials, but the lily stems are tough and arrow-like, so I thought they might poke through. So you think I need to clear a few inches around each lily stalk? I thought (hoped) the vinca wouldn't damage the stalk once it has pushed through....

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I am think your lilies will shoot right up through the vinca. Some of ours comes up through masses of hemerocallis which would seem even more difficult. Patti

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I had a lily go all the way through the roots of a daylily and come out the other side. Very tough.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Great news -- thanks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.