Cattle Panel Trellises

Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Pirl, I saw that you were looking at cattle panel trellises on the Texas forum. I am posting pictures of 2 trellises that my husband built last fall for the flower bed that I share with my neighbor. Showing the bed newly planted and as it looks today.

Also a pic of my Dr. Ruppel (ordered from Brushwood last fall) that has a 7" bloom. I'm excited about that!! The clems are at the corner of the house just out of the picture to the left.

If anyone wants more info about using cattle panel, I will be happy to post it.

Thumbnail by bezziec Thumbnail by bezziec Thumbnail by bezziec Thumbnail by bezziec Thumbnail by bezziec
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you so much. That arbor is absolutely wonderful - I love it. Dr. Ruppel was my last choice in a 2007 co-op, and while all the other clematises died a quick death for me and others, Dr. Ruppel survived and thrived.

The most appealing part of your arbor is the fact it can be made as wide as we wish. That's been an issue for me since many are just too narrow.

Thumbnail by pirl
Beverly Pflugerville, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't know that you can tell from the picture, but we split a 52" X 16' panel. By putting it up off the ground about 1' we ended up with the posts being about 5' apart (where you would walk under the arbor). You of course could use more wire and spread it further. These panels are very strong. We liked the look and the strength of the arch for these roses as they will cover it eventually and need strong support. The copper caps for the posts are available at Home Depot.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

That was a good idea. I imagine anything wider than what you have might not support climbing roses. I understand they can get heavy.

Yours could easily support clematises unless they are the Montana type that get to be monsters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.