quickly declining barberry red rocket?

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

It was purchased a month ago, planted in a rock garden type setting. Light watering and a small bit of rain. Warm weather, 70's and just reached the 80's this week. It stayed bright red for about 3 weeks, then slowly began turning more green, with some not all leaves curling, dry at the tips, some whole branches dry. I'm adding pictures of before and after... Does anyone know what could be going wrong? I pulled it out to check the roots. New roots look bright yellow green, and the soil, football was just damp, not soggy. I checked the drainage of the hole, filled it with water and it drained in less than 5 minutes. We had some very windy (40 plus mph) days since it was planted. I can't figure out the problem. Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym Thumbnail by kinym
Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I wonder if those winds dried it out, since it's roots weren't yet established?
I've also seen ants suck the lifeblood out of a new planting,
but I presume you would have noticed if you planted it on an anthill.
Better wait for an answer from a gardener more familiar with your climate...

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Thank you for the response. I hope that is the case. I went back to the nursery today and they informed me that even though it is common in xeriscapes they water theirs everyday being that they are new plants. I tranferred it to a new bed, watered it and am really hoping the wind was the problem. The spot I had it in was a "hot spot" also, so I replaced it with a desert spoon.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Verticillium wilt?

Carmichael, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh, I hope not.... :(

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I've noticed that nurseries and box stores water the snot out of their plants so they are always lush. Surely, you keep the same watering schedule for a while?
Take it back for a refund, that's what I do when plants die or are dying, their too expensive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.