Need clematis suggestion for shady area

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

For a while now, my DH has wanted to plant something that climbs in a space between two windows on the front of our house. I have kept him at bay about it because it doesn't get much sun. (The real reason is that in my opinion, filling in that spot will in fact detract from the look of the house. Too many things lined up in a row.)

However, he's bugging me again about it, and says he doesn't care if it's not enough sun, he wants to try, and everything else in the garden is the way I want it (not exactly true, but he has a point).

So, what clem would you recommend for a shady spot? Needs to be a vining type to grow up the trellis. Plus it will be in a spot that I can't reach from my wheelchair, so easy care in spring would be ideal.

TIA,

Katherine

Grosse Pointe Shores, MI(Zone 6a)

I should add, the house is whitewashed brick, so light colors probably won't stand out much.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Nelly Moser is a great choice. It's reliable, enjoys the part sun exposure and there should be enough pink in the flowers to please you. Just cut back by half or one third after its spring bloom.

Here's a list from Taylor's about clem's that perform well in shade:

http://www.taylorsclematis.co.uk/clematis-will-tolerate-shade/

Here's Nelly:

In the last photo you can see she's in shade during the entire afternoon yet look at the abundance of blooms.

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.