Greetings from the old Dave's RMG gang.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi there. This used to be a pretty active thread, but I guess for several reasons it kinda died off. If you go back to the old threads, this being a good one for composting (a must for us in this region) http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/635165/ , you'll find tons of great info. A few names that come to mind for great info are Ineedacupoftea (GJ, used to be JamesCO), greenjay (Denver), sofer (MT), pajaritomt (NM) and a host of others. Here's a pic of some of the gang: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4021447. I learned so much in the few years I was on Dave's from these guys. A great source for seed is Botanical Interest. They started in Broomfield, CO really not all that long ago. So they are pretty flush with native and xeric plants. Plant Select is a good source of info of beautiful xeric plants that do well in our region. Anyhow, happy gardening to all. May the worms be with you. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Thumbnail by vadap Thumbnail by vadap Thumbnail by vadap
Monte Vista, CO(Zone 4a)

Nice looking seedlings you have there, Vadap. I recognize the tomatoes. What other plants are growing there?
So far, I have three or four kinds of corn that's already ready to transplant into hothouse, cantaloup, a couple of types of watermelon, Listada de Ganzia eggplant, four types of tomatoes, okra that's ready to go into the hothouse, two types of green beans, english peas, three types of lettuce, brocolli, garlic, green onions (regrown from store-bought), a couple of types of squash, and avocado seedlings and seeds in process. The avocados will live indoors. I learned my lesson last year on those, and thank God they came back after freezing (it was a few -22 degree nights). I'm growing a Hass and a cold hardy that I bought (both froze) and have three trees about a foot tall, and another that just took off and is about 8 inches tall now. I'm gonna have to build onto my house. I can see that, now, lol. Thank you for sharing your photos with us. That looked like a happy bunch of folks.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Hey Solace, unfortunately that was several years ago. I was gone for most of last year. I started sailing as a merchant seaman again (all the stuff that you buy that comes from overseas comes on merchant ships). The yard/garden suffered heavily while I was away, so popped back on here to see if I can muster some inspiration. Don't plan on being gone as much as last year so I can better maintain things. At least I hope.
I got the plans for building the stand here on Daves, and being as cheap as I can when it comes to gardening, I started a bunch of seeds. Pictured is mostly toms, 4 types. A bunch of basil, for use and as ornamentals. They grow easy and being annuals, no issues on letting them bloom out. Siam was particularly nice. I believe I had the listada in here. It didn't do to well for me. I had a french squash (http://www.flickr.com/photos/aeranthes/2960412146/) that was fabulous. A lot better than the regular butternut, which I also had. There were a few different marigolds and other annuals, one of the mari's being french lace (my fav). The stuff on the bottom, I don't remember except that the slugs zapped them in no time. One weekend they were fine. The next, toast. Oh well, such is gardening. Don't mind things going badly. I had just planted out some vidalia onion sets to use as green onions. I came home to find a flock of blackbirds destroying them. That's quite a list there. Do you keep your stuff in a green house all year or do you plant them out? I know you guys can get some pretty rough winters, but I've only been down that way once in the summer to camp at the sand dunes. Wish you the best to a bountiful harvest.

Brisvegas, Australia(Zone 12b)

Hi Paul,
Tomatoes looking great.
I quite often plant marigolds or basil next to my toms.
Keeps most bugs away.
Looking forward to this Thread whipping up a storm. (now on my watch list)
I like busy Threads.
How is the 'mile high crew going' ?

Shepherd, MT

Miss this thread

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, I am still around. I am not as active in Master Gardeners as I use to be. And I am behind on my own yard work.

But I am still active in my Xeriscape garden group/club.

This message was edited Jun 11, 2014 6:07 PM

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Mind if I join your thread for gardening chat? I'm a drop in and drop out sort of person and have issues staying constantly in conversation. Just too busy with work and school to be to consistent. I'm not in the rockies but I'm closer to you guys and visit more often than the area I'm suppose to be in.

Michelle

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Your welcome to join - however this forum isn't as active as it used to be ( note thread dates on page)

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

Ugh, I wish there was an active gardening group that fits my area, I love living where I live and away from cities but it does have its downside.

Michelle

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

I do understand Michelle! My garden is just popping back after the extreme hail storm we had a few weeks back. It would be really nice to share ideas and stories about gardening in such challenging areas.

Pueblo, CO(Zone 5b)

Hail in May? Tornados in the high country? Colorado weather has always been weird, but it is getting weirder.
Comparing Kansas and Colorado, Kansas usually gets more rain, and always gets more humidity.

Minneola, KS(Zone 6a)

I'm in far Western Kansas so not so much on the rain here, not normally a lot of humidity here either. Eastern Kansas seems to get a lot more rain and humidity. Almost everything I plant has minimal water requirements. I'm so sorry on the hail storm, I can say most recovers, it just takes time. I got 6 inches of hail at one time at the end of last may and all I had left at the time were twigs. They were running snow plows in town to get it off the highways. I actually cried for my plants and thought all was lost. I did loose many plants, but I had many more that lived.

Shepherd, MT

I was one of the originals where did every one go

Kiowa, CO(Zone 5b)

Mclowdis..Hi!! Rain here in our region Denver/Colorado Springs area get approx 14-17" of moisture per season.. You are more like 30" aren't you? Or more? You're over there in the Flat Lands..lol.

Pix are from July (6 or 7th) a couple years ago. My garden was in full bloom when I left home but when I got back I found there was about 6" of hail and many newly planted perenns had been washed away. Even tried finding some of my goodies in the ditch but alas they were filled with hail even days later. Also lost a kitty that day.. This is what I found a few days later when I ventured out into the garden. Took me a few days to get brave enough to checkout the damage. Ya, sad.... I just cut everything back and still had some blooms for the rest of the season. And kitty never came home..... Kathy

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.